VMware Communities
Albert_Liang
Contributor
Contributor

Installed Workstation 6.5.5 with Error 1310: Error writing to file C:\Program Files (x86)\VMWare\VMWare Workstation\pkg\autorun.inf verify that you have access to the directory.

Hi Everyone

I had installed mix of VMWare Player and Workstation (V6.5.5 and V10 trial) on my laptop. Then when my Workstation V10 trial expired, I tried to re-install V6.5.5 which I have a license. I ran into

"Error 1310: Error writing to file C:\Program Files (x86)\VMWare\VMWare Workstation\pkg\autorun.inf verify that you have access to the directory".

I have researched various KB such as below to clean up any installation issue. http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1308

But no luck I still ran into the same error. Have tried CCClean to clean up the registry as well. Still the same error.

This 1310 error seems a common error with various company's products even MicroSoft office ran into this issue due to some installation/unsintallation issue. I did find someone posted the same error for VMWare Workstation. But no solution to it.

This tool has been suggested a few times but not specific to VMWare. Wonder anyone has tried this before Error 1310, Fix error 1310 Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 & Vista

Called VMWare support but V6 is out of support - so no luck there. I was suggested by VMWare support here, and see if anyone had the experience before, and can help.

It has been frustrating days trying to resolve this without success. Appreciate any solution/tips you can provide.

Thank you in advance.

Albert

0 Kudos
0 Replies