VMware Communities
BlueSpruce
Contributor
Contributor

Installation on Vista Crashes (BSOD)

Mistakenly installed VM Workstation 5.5.0 on WinV-32bit (Dell Inspiron 9400); install went fine but WinV explicitly blocked its execution afterwards.

Got latest VM Workstation (6.0.0-45731) and attempted install. It attempted to remove the old installation but blue-screened in the middle of it.

Read forum and found out to run the old install package with /c switch. Uninstall appeared to work.

Started install of VMW 6 again. Appeared to work though it asked me to kill the authorization service (which I did). It continued for quite a while. With the status info saying something about installing network service(?) it blue-screened again (vmx86.sys). I was going to reboot and try it again, but the machine was needed for other work.

I'm wondering if the problem is not due to the install of the 5.5. It seems like the /c removal worked, but since I got blue-screened on the subsequent install I'm not so sure now.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BlueSpruce
Contributor
Contributor

I got another crack at the machine an resolved the problem.

From where I left off in the last post:

1) I removed the VMWorkstation 6 installation using the /c switch to the install exe.

2) Rebooted.

3) Attempted install again; failed with a popup saying access was denied to a registry key (I was running with administrator privileges).

4) Looked for and found 3(?) services running; these were named VMsomething. Stopped them.

5) Started the install. Success!!!

0 Kudos
subhash76
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Blue Spruce Had the same problem got it resolved ......

0 Kudos