VMware Communities
DaveBerm
Contributor
Contributor

Installation of Workstation 8 is failing

Getting this error and then the install backs out of the installation.

http://screencast.com/t/cXR36bGlDJA0

Failed to open file C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\Uninstaller\uninstall.exe, error 5

I previously had Workstation 7 installed but uninstalled Workstation 7 prior to installing Workstation 8, so that particular path and .exe is no longer on my system...not sure why the installer is looking for it?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Felix-The-Cat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello David,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you have a problem with WS 8.

To speed-up investigation, could you please:

1. Give us more info regarding Host config -OS, CPU, RAM, etc

2. Attach 'vmsetup' logs (Users\[CurrentUser]\AppData\Local\Temp) from latest installation

And, may I ask why you manually <<uninstalled Workstation 7 prior to installing>>?

WS 8 Installer can do it for you...

---------------

Cheers

0 Kudos
DaveBerm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Attached is the VMINST file, however, I found it in the temp directory of the local Administrator account, not domain admin account I was logged in as.  I suppose this is because I had to "Run As Administrator"?

I have an the following hardware:

Dell XPS M1530

8GB RAM

Intel Core 2 Due T9500 2.6 GHz 2 Cores with virtualization enabled

Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 x64-bit OS

You are correct, I did let VMware Workstation v8 detect and automatically uninstall Workstation v7.  As part of the uninstall it asked me to reboot.  After the reboot I assumed that Workstation 8 would continue the install but it did not.  After waiting a while I ran the install again and this time it failed as I reported.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
DaveBerm
Contributor
Contributor

Just realized there are more logs, I have attached everything here.

0 Kudos
Felix-The-Cat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks David,

We will look at the logs,

However, base on my experience I suspect couple of things happened:

- IF you have Windows Update  installing automatically, it can interrupt WS Installer

- IF UAC Prompt did not pop-up, but flashing at status Bar, and you did not click on button “Yes” in time, WS Installer would fail.

Anyway, let us investigate and we will post results and, hopefully, solution or workaround soon

----------------------

Cheers

0 Kudos
DaveBerm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!  UAC did pop up and I put my credentials in and clicked OK to continue the install.  Windows Update is set to automatically install and update, I can turn that off and try again if needed - let me know!  I really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Felix-The-Cat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

David,

Looks like we see the issue in logs, but

have to look into it more to see what account is attempting to create that file (Administrator/Domain Administrator/etc.?)

-------------------------------

Cheers

0 Kudos
Felix-The-Cat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

however, I found it in the temp directory of the local Administrator  account, not domain admin account I was logged in as.  I suppose this is  because I had to "Run As Administrator"?

UAC did pop up and I put my credentials in and clicked OK to continue the install

David,

Could you please verify:

- You as "domain user" does not have ''administrative" rights, so you started WS8 installation by "Run as Administrator"?

0 Kudos
DaveBerm
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the confusion, the account I used is a Domain Admin and has administrative rights on the laptop.  When I run the install the UAC pops up and asks for the Administrative user account, so I enter the local Administrator and password to do the install. I did not right click and "Run As" administrator.

0 Kudos
jbudreau
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey Dave,

Can you see if the following directory exists on your machine?  C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\Uninstaller\.  If it does, can you manually delete it and try to run the Workstation 8.0 installer again?

Thanks,

Joel

0 Kudos
DaveBerm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. I was able to get it to install by logging in as the local Administrator instead of using my domain admin account.

0 Kudos
Felix-The-Cat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

David,

the account I used is a Domain Admin and has administrative rights on the laptop

When I run the install the UAC pops up and asks for the Administrative  user account, so I enter the local Administrator and password to do the  install. I did not right click and "Run As" administrator.

Why do you need to input username/password to the UAC

IF

you log to the system as  Domain admin with admin rights on the laptop?

I try to reproduce your issue in my environment, and Install were OK.

1. I log to the System as USER (with Domain 'Admin' rights )

2. Double-click on WS......Instal...exe

3. Follow standart UNINSTALL

4. Reboot after Uninstall complete

5. Log to the System as USER (with Domain 'Admin' rights )

6. Clicked 'Yes' on UAC

7. Continue with installation (Typical) up to the finish.

WS 8 Installed OK.

-------------------------

Cheers

0 Kudos
DaveBerm
Contributor
Contributor

I did the same exact thing as you when the install failed. It finally worked when I logged on as a local administrator and did the install.

0 Kudos