VMware Communities
Arcanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installation of Chrome OS Flex in Workstation Pro 16?

Here is homepage:

https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/

Anyone tried it? It is possible somehow? Thanks.

13 Replies
fender355
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying too...

0 Kudos
fender355
Contributor
Contributor

BTW I am stuck at this step... 

fender355_0-1645088267511.png

0 Kudos
netbob
Contributor
Contributor

The key is making an iso of the Linux partition on the usb drive. Once you have that, since it’s based on either gentoo or Debian buster, you should be good to go and then the developer tools with shell access can be accessed. Working on it now with vm ws 16.

nb

0 Kudos
arm64isfuture
Contributor
Contributor

I'm creating the bootable USB. Then I'll boot with the USB into VMWare and see if it goes well.

I'll update this comment when I finish the installation.

Edit: Looks like it does not want to boot from USB. I'm making an ISO from the bootable USB and boot it from there.

Edit 2: No luck converting the USB to ISO and booting it. Also, my USB was soft bricked and somehow I managed to get out of it. I might wait for Google to release the ISO instead of the bootable USB 😕

0 Kudos
MattPackwood
Contributor
Contributor

I am also trying it...

0 Kudos
pmajan
Contributor
Contributor

I did try this:

1.- I Made The Installer USB via Official Chrome Extension

2.- I Made a VHD on Windows (same size of USB)

3.- Clone all partitions from the USB to VHD

4.- I convert VHD to VMDK

5.- My VM have 2 VMDK (1st for vm and the 2nd the VMDK converted) and UEFI start

6.- Select the 2nd VMDK for boot at start But... don't work yet.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
aamhm
Contributor
Contributor

any update ,to install it on VMware?

i failed also same as happen to u

0 Kudos
netbob
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the older cloudready version and that works in vmw 16. From what I am seeing, there isn’t much difference btw cloudready 1.0 and os flex 2.0. Experimenting with the dev channel which supports a migration from cr to os flex.

0 Kudos
LGentle
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.  Downloaded and "installed" the OVA and it works great.

Would still like to get commercial Flex installed.  Been working on this for a few hours today.  I think I've successfully created an ISO using 'dd' in a Debian VM.  Copying to a USB stick now.

Stay tuned..........

0 Kudos
LGentle
Contributor
Contributor

Nope.  Didn't work.

Debian saw three drives/partitions when Windows only saw 2, but, still didn't make a working ISO.

0 Kudos
Aurore_Soleil
Contributor
Contributor

May I ask where you got the OVA file, I tried to find it, but the link is invalid...

Friendship Is Magic!
0 Kudos
Frank2222
Contributor
Contributor

I doubt that there is an OVA file for Flex. There was an OVA for the old Cloudready v83, however, Neverware has removed the file. You may find the image somewhere on the web. I do not recommend it because it is quite outdated. You can upgrade the version but you will run into a black screen after v87 (as far as I remember) in VMWare.

As of Feb 23, I didn't find a method on the web to get Flex working in VMWare.

0 Kudos