VMware Communities
SunilMeka
Contributor
Contributor

Installation issue for Ubuntu 12.04 on VMware Workstation 9.0

Hi All,

I am getting the issue while I am installing the Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop version in VMWare Workstation9.0 which is on Windows 8.1. My Laptop configuration is below.

Hard Drive :: Hybrid 1 TB 5400 RPM + 8GB SSHD

Memory  :: 16 GB PC3-12880 DDR3L 1600 MHz

Processor :: 5th Generation Intel Core i7-5500U Processor

Operation System :: Windows 8.1 64-bit

After some issues I am able to install the Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit on the VMWare. While I am logging it is asking for the password, once entered it is giving the black screen. Any one faced this issue or any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sunil

edit by wila Changed the title of the thread from ALL CAPS to normal case.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Sunil,

You are not telling us what graphics adapter you have which might be a factor.

Did you install VMware tools? If not try logging in in plain text mode and install the VMware tools into the guest OS.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
SunilMeka
Contributor
Contributor

The Graphics Card is AMD Radeon R9 M275 4GB.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

A cursory look -as I am not familiar with that particular card - seems to suggest the the card would be sufficient for normal graphics in your VM. It will not hurt to install the latest drivers in Windows 8.1, but it should not be needed either.

Did you install VMware tools?

Boot into text mode and have a look at the logs (/var/log/messages)

It might also help to attach vmware.log to your reply here.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
SunilMeka
Contributor
Contributor

OK. I didn't install the VM tools. I will try to install in text only mode and check the logs. Thanks for your inputs. Thanks

0 Kudos