VMware Communities
ooD00Goo
Contributor
Contributor

Install multiple versions of VMWare Workstation

Hi

Can someone pls help me to install 2 versions of VMWare workstation?
I need to install 16 and 17 on the same machine,

Reason?
17 is not compatible with windows XP (at least not withg some software that runs on winXP

I tested it myself and it is simply not working as it should
Going back to version 16 solved the issue.

For this 1 game I am willing to keep version 16 (offline) on my pc but for the rest I would like to keep up with the latest security updates.

Thanks in advance

Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ooD00Goo
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone willing to help me out?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

It is not possible.

You can only install one version of VMware Workstation at a time.

The only hack that exists is to install another version of Workstation within a VM. But as you are talking about playing games, it is not likely to be performant enough.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ooD00Goo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply

Where can I submit a bug or at least make clear that vmWare 17 is not working proper?

And I play only 1 game and that only works on 16 and not on 17.
For the rest I only use vmware for non gaming.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

For your information, the Community Forum is not an official support-forum and is not actively monitored by VMware Support or Product Managers.

This is a community based forum where VMware Workstation users help other users.

So most of the time -like now- you get an answer from a volunteer.

As a side note there are VMware employees who keep an eye on the forums and try to help out, but they might not see every post and most - if not all of them - are doing so in their own free time.

To get official support please go to: Workstation Support and open a ticket at Get Support

You can get support if you have a support contract or if you bought Workstation in the past 30 days.

As Windows XP is pretty old I was wondering if VMware still has it on the support matrix and it seems it does. See also: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&details=1&operatin...

So that at least wouldn't exclude it from getting official help.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Kjell_
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe using the (for personal use free) Workstation Player version 16 for that one virtual machine is an option?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@Kjell_ wrote:

Maybe using the (for personal use free) Workstation Player version 16 for that one virtual machine is an option?

Doesn't matter - the paid Pro version and the free Player version use the same codebase and components - just a different UI.  You still can only have one version installed on a given host PC at a time.

0 Kudos