VMware Communities
mierdatuti
Contributor
Contributor

Install local network with 2 virtual machines

Hi,

I have a windows xp sp2 host and I would like to install two virutal machines, the two virutal machines must go with Windwos xp sp2 and I would like that the two virutal machines are in the same lan and they set up on the same lan.

How could I do this?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

If you ONLY want the two guest's AND the host in a LAN, use VMnet1 (host-only network) as the type for virtual NIC's in the guest.

If you ONLY want the two guest's in one LAN, create a new private subnet via the network configuration menu ("Edit > Virtual Network Settings... > Host Virtual Network Mapping) and use VMnet2, for example, to add a subnet with an unique subnet IP address. Use "Custom" and VMnet2 as the type of vNIC in your guest's.

If you don't mind to have the guest's and the host on the physical LAN, use bridged networking (VMnet0) as the vNIC type in the guest's. Using this uoption the guest's would behave like aqny other host on the LAN.

Message was edited by: AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
mierdatuti
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

Especifically I would like that I could assign a diferent ip to the two guet on the same segment of LAN, how could I do this?

Many thanks and sorry for my english

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Especifically I would like that I could assign a diferent ip to the two guet on the same segment of LAN, how could I do this?

What do you mean exactly? Do you want to run the both guests with different IP network addresses? That is possible, but if you ONLY have both guests in the virtual LAN, they can't communicate with anybody. In fact you would isolate them.

If you run them with different IP network addresses over the physical network, you can communicate with them at least with other hosts sharing the same IP network address.

So, with which solution of the three from my last post do you want to go?

0 Kudos
tfournier
Contributor
Contributor

After going through the documentation, and looking online, I have a scenario similar to this that can't figure out. Trying to create a closed testing environment consisting of Windows 2003 Server and two XP workstations. Want the XP workstations to receive their IP addresses from the server guest OS and join the test domain. DHCP setting have been verified and setup properly on the server, but the two workstations consistently default to automatic IP addressing. Tried using LAN1 for the team, Vnet2 and other combinations to no avail. The host OS is XP Pro SP3. Please let me know if any additional information is required. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

1. Set all back to the default which is

+ VMnet0 to a fixed physical NIC or automatic bridging

+ VMnet1 to host-only

+ VMnet8 to NAT

2. Isolated Network

To isolate your guests use VMnet1 as this is an isolated network where only the guest's and th ehost participate.

3. DHCP

The VMnet1 and VMnet8 networks have their own DHCP server which is implemented as a Windows service. If you don't want to use this one, you can use static IP addresses or switch the VMware DHCP server service off. You can do this from within the network configuration of VMware Workstation or through the services MMC. There's a good chance that your guest's received their DHCP address from this DHCP server and not from the one on the DC.

0 Kudos
tfournier
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the Reply AWo!

1. Set them all back to default

2. Set the Team to use VMnet1

3. Turned off DHCP for VMnet1

The two XP Pro guests default back to automatic IP addressing, and when set to static IP addresses they still can not see the guest Windows 2003 server. The DHCP setting for the guest 2003 server have been reverified so at a complete loss. If there's any other information needed to help figure this out please let me know. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Set the guests to static IP addresses of the range which is assigned to VMnet1 temporarily. Try to ping the guests each other first to verify if basic communication is possible.

If the ping doesn't work, post:

+ ipconfig /all from at least one guest AND the host.

+ .vmx file from the guest you posted "ipconfig /all" from.

+ screenshots of your virtual network configuration from the VMware Workstation network preferences menu.

0 Kudos
tfournier
Contributor
Contributor

Ping doesn't work, attached info as requested

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, can't open this...

0 Kudos
tfournier
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about that. Changed it to a ZIP file. If you need RAR please let me know. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

The only thing which comes to my mind after looking at your informations is: break up the team, delete it and handle the guests as single guests. Set their network to VMnet1, not to custom. If this works (ping) start by re-creating the team and try again.

0 Kudos
tfournier
Contributor
Contributor

Will do. Thanks for all your help. Will let you know results when completed.

0 Kudos