VMware Communities
shanmanz
Contributor
Contributor

Install fedora core 5 on Vmware workstation 5.5 for windows

I am trying to install Red hat Fedora 5 as guest operating system on Vmware workstation 5.5 for windows . After I boot guest OS from CD , I get error saying "no hardrives has been found . You prabably manually need to choose device drivers" If I say "yes" it detects AMD pcnet32 as device . After pressing "done" ,then selecting language ,keyboard etc. I get error saying "no vaild devices were found on which to create new file system please chech your hardware "

Any help appreciated .

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I believe (if I correctly remember the myriad posts in this forum about this very issue), you will either need an IDE virtual disk, or an LSILogic SCSI virtual disk. Make sure you have not selected your SCSI adapter to be BusLogic.

0 Kudos
pkloves
Contributor
Contributor

Under the virtual machine's settings, select options, and change the virtual machine to "Linux" and "Other Linux 2.6 Kernel". "Red Hat Linux" does not work for Fedora.

0 Kudos
shanmanz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for quick reply . First I tried changing changing the virtual machine to "Linux" and "Other Linux 2.6 Kernel" but that didnt work so i tried 2nd option i.e changing Harddisk to IDE . I removed SCSI and added IDE . It seems to work . I also kept virtual settings as Other linux 2.6 kernel .

Thank you .

0 Kudos
alhall
Contributor
Contributor

You're right. Just change the drive to IDE and you can also leave the setting at "Red Hat Linux".

0 Kudos
MartijnLo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to confirm:

I got this working by making it an LSILogic SCSI disk. Just don't use the default VM wizard for this one and you'll be fine.

0 Kudos
thanhpt
Contributor
Contributor

please hepl me for install vmware on fedora core 5 2.6.15

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have installed Fedora Core 5 on VMware 5.5.1 (Windows). In fact I installed the 64 bit version (GUI with no tweaking) on two mirrored SCSI drives (RAID1).I used Other 64 bit Linux.

Unfortunately I have no real hints for you. The only reinstalls I needed were to setup the RAID1 configuration.

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
Mike_Larry
Contributor
Contributor

Just installed Core 5 in VMware 5.5,

Don't take the VMware Typical configuration as this selects the wrong SCSI disk, select the Custom and select the LSI Logic SCSI Adapter

Works fine.

0 Kudos
shawnrhode
Contributor
Contributor

You can use the default SCSI controller (BusLogic) if you want to. However, in order to do this, you will need to select "Add Device" when the popup that lists AMD pcnet32 appears rather than choosing "Done". From the resulting list, choose the only BusLogic driver listed. This will detect a piece of matching hardware and be listed in the popup along with AMD pcnet32 when you return to that window. Now hit "Done" and the install will continue without issues after that. This will work with "RedHat Linux" chosen.

0 Kudos
emailbuilder
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add my two cents, it was REALLY REALLY easy to install FC5 using the Wizard to create the virtual machine (as long as you choose "custom" machine type and choose the LSI Logic SCSI controller instead of the BusLogic one. All these messages and other pages on the web had me worried, but that was it... leave it set to Linux/Red Hat Linux and just use the LSI Logic controller. Great stuff!

0 Kudos
snalwala
Contributor
Contributor

It helps...just select RedHat Linux and then LSI Logic - IDE and install it....

0 Kudos
hitechjanitor
Contributor
Contributor

Host OS: XP SP2, Guest OS: Fedcora Core 5.0

I tried 10 combinations and only get the VMWARE logo

and " Press F2 to enter SETP, F12 for Network Boot, ESC for Boot Menu"

No errors

Combinations tried:

Red hat Linux typical

Other Linux 2.6 typical

Red Hat Linux Bus Logic SCSI

Red Hat Linux LSI SCSI

Red Hat Linux Bus Logic IDE

Red Hat Linux LSI IDE

Other Linux 2.6 Bus Logic SCSI

Other Linux 2.6 LSI SCSI

Other Linux 2.6 Bus Logic IDE

Other Linux 2.6 LSI IDE

:

Event viewer has no errors.

The log files for each environmnet seem ok (never read one before)

I see

Opened paging file

Disk: Open ide0:0

Disk: Open

:

The only suspicious line I see is this

:

KHBKL: Unable to parse keystring at: ' '

:

Here is a larger snippet......

Mar 02 08:04:38: vmx| DnD rpc already set to 1

Mar 02 08:04:38: mks| Connecting to window system.

Mar 02 08:04:38: mks| KHBKL: Unable to parse keystring at: ''

Mar 02 08:04:38: vcpu-0| APIC: version = 0x14, max LVT = 5

Mar 02 08:04:38: vcpu-0| APIC: LDR = 0x1000000, DFR = 0xffffffff

Mar 02 08:04:38: vcpu-0| PShare: enabled 1, scanRate 32, checkRate 16

Mar 02 08:04:38: vcpu-0| guestCpuFeatures = 0x8871fe02

Mar 02 08:04:38: vcpu-0| Init modules.

Mar 02 08:04:38: vcpu-0| DISKUTIL: ide0:0 : capacity=4194304

Mar 02 08:04:38: vcpu-0| CPU reset: hard

:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

:

hitechjanitor (maybe its time for a frosty mug of draino)

:

0 Kudos