VMware Communities
martin_salo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install Windows: What license does VMWare take?

Hello Forum,

I have a normal Windows 2012 Demo Iso. If I installed it on a real computer: Windows asks for a license or if not given, it runs in trail mode. But if I install the OS with VMWare Workstation and choose this image in the VM creation process, I'm not aske for any license. This machine runs now longer than 6 months. If I look in the Windows Activation menu: There is a Product ID and a Product Key, but Windows is not activated. What kind of installation is this? There seems to be no limitation?

Thanks

Martin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
martin_salo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have downloaded the ISO from MS. With manual installation, windows asks for a license at start and after the first start it reminds me to activate windows. If I use the same ISO file to do a installation with VMWare Workstation, I'm not asked for a license while the installation and after windows-start I dont get any reminders. A Product ID and Key is inserted. What kind of license or installation is this?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Martin,

Workstation will not insert a license. But .. there are two types of installations, you can do the normal install or the easy install.

The easy install might hide the entering the license parts, it will however not enter a key for you and it will also not activate windows on your behalf.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
martin_salo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hm, that is strange. I have only one image, I used it several times for creating test machines. If I look in the Windows Activation dialog, I can see the last 5 chars of the key and its always different for every installation. I personally have not downloaded the ISO from MS, it was bought in some kind off package. Strange thing, I have to ask my colleagues.

0 Kudos