VMware Communities
0x77221
Contributor
Contributor

Install WMware tools

Hi folks,

Host arch linux, guest windows 7 64b. I just upgraded to player 12 from player 7. My VMware tools is out of date, and I am prompted to upgrade to 10.0.0. The automatic VMware tools update dialog runs fine, until the install step, when I enter root password.

Entering the root password then brings up an error. There was a problem installing software component, try again later.

If I enter incorrect password, the prompt says "incorrect password", so that is not the problem.

Any advice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jbudreau
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you post a screenshot of the dialog that's asking for your root password? I'm not sure where that prompt is coming from.

0 Kudos
0x77221
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this. I can't take a screenshot because the application takes fades the xserver and takes control of the keyboard, so I can't navigate to any other window (to use import command for screenshot).

This password prompt pops up after the progress bar showing that the component is being downloaded starts up, and after the download is complete.

I tried launching vmplayer as root, and although the password prompt doesn't come up in this case, the tools install still fails with the following message:

"There was a problem updating a software component. Try again later and if the problem persists, contact VMware Support or your system administrator"

Is there a way to install tools without starting vmplayer? Perhaps a commandline method?

Thanks.

0 Kudos