VMware Communities
blinton25
Contributor
Contributor

Install Vista on < 512MB using Workstation 6

Hello,

My host operating system has 512MB, and I wish to install Vista using Workstation 6, which has 256MB assigned to it. However Vista will not install on less than 512 MB.

Is there a way to get around this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Can't you use a friends box to install the VM ? - if you are lucky it may later run with 384Mb on your box.

It may also be possible to remove the RAM-check.

In XP you could do this with nlite

0 Kudos
seanh1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think vista can run without a minimum of 1 GB.

The VM will behave the same way.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Vista min mem is 512. It won't install with less. I haven't actually tried pulling memory to see if it will run post-install with less than 512 because I want to run more than just Solitaire. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
seanh1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe they say "512 minimum" but you'd be crazy to run it without 1 GB... I think.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe they say "512 minimum" but you'd be crazy to

run it without 1 GB... I think.

Oh, most definitely. When I was beta testing Vista, I started with 512. Couldn't run anything past solitaire so I put in a spare 256MB module to get to 768. That at least let me run MSOffice at a decent speed. So yes, 512MB is the min and I doubt you'd have any pleasant memories of Vista without more...and I think there may be cursing with less than 512. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You would find me slumped over the keyboard, If I had to run Vista with 512MB Smiley Wink

0 Kudos