VMware Communities
kirm1955
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Insider Builds of Fast Ring 18346.1 and todays Skippy Build 18845.1001 will not install in VMware 15

I have tried clean installing and upgrading with these last 2 builds, and they both freeze at the Windows logo.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kirm1955
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just want to add that this only occurs with 64-bit builds, the 32-bit builds for both Fast and Skip Ahead install without issue.

0 Kudos
kirm1955
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

here is a fix.. add this to vmx file of your virtual machine:

cpuid.brandstring = "VMware Fix for Windows 10 Build 18346 x64"
cpuid.1.ecx = "0--------------0----------------"
cpuid.1.edx = "-----------0---------0----------"
monitor_control.enable_fullcpuid = "TRUE"

thanks to mkuba50 from MDL forums.

jimbo45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there

I think I have a problem the other way around

I cannot install VMWare pro at all on the latest skippy   (18845,1001) as a HOST  while 18346.1 will run VMWare the system freezes when you try and attach a USB device to any Guest VM (wheter Linux or Windows Guests)

0 Kudos
kirm1955
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That could be expected with these Insider builds and 3rd party apps. Suggest reporting this in Feedback Hub.

This issue that I am reporting, we do have a temporary fix, but the bottom line remains, is this something VMware has to correct or is this an issue with MS. I have never previously had an issue installing any OS up till this past week.

Would be great if someone from VMware would respond to this situation. Are they even aware of this problem. There has been quite the discussion on the MS Insider Forum:

Build 18346.1 and Skippy Build 18845.1001 will not install in VMware - Microsoft Community

0 Kudos
kirm1955
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another Link for Feedback Hub:

https://aka.ms/AA4eccd

0 Kudos
jziobro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is a known issue, at least from MS's standpoint. It is a problem with the latest insider preview builds and they are looking into it.  I looked at it briefly and it appears to be an issue with VmWare Workstation. My host is Windows 10 Version 1903(OS Build 18356.1) x64 and I am trying to update several Windows 10 x64 VMs to the same build. I attached the kernel debugger to the VM to see where it failed in Windows, using the network connection, but the debugger never connects. I used VS Studio to debug vmware.exe and it appears to be hung in a loop.

I am surprised I have not seen anything posted acknowledging this problem from VmWare while MS has acknowledged it in their release notes. A lot of us use these VMs to test the latest insider builds, so this is a VERY important issue. I don't understand why VmWare won't even acknowledge it??

0 Kudos
jziobro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P.S. I am running VmWare Workstation Pro 15.0.3

0 Kudos
kirm1955
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was hoping VMware-workstation-full-15.0.3-12422535 would have the issue corrected, but not at all. MS has reported that a fix on their end is in the pipeline right now, so possibly in the next build or so we should be good.

For now, adding the 3-line fix to the vmx file is the only way forward for testing these builds.

0 Kudos
jziobro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. That fix appears to work for me as well. I'm not exactly sure what it is doing?? It appears to be changing some feature flags in the CPUID info.

0 Kudos