VMware Communities
zephyrus1980
Contributor
Contributor

Independent Nonpersistent Disk Issue

Hi,

I have noticed that changes made on independent nonpersistent disk are discarded after a reboot. But as per documentation, it will be only discarded when the virtual machine is shutdown.

Version: 16.2.0 build-18760230

Host version: Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit (Build 22483.1011) 10.0.22483

Guest OS: Centos Stream 8

Snapshot_21-10-28_02-36-10.jpg

Thank you.

8 Replies
Kevin24
Contributor
Contributor

+1, the same problem. Version: 16.2.1 build-18811642

Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

+1 same bug here, really a problem when trying to install software the tries to reboot

Win 10 Enterprise 21H1 19043.1348

Guest OS does not matter (tested with Windows & Debian Guest OS'es)

VMware Workstation 16.2.1 build-18811642

0 Kudos
wardles
Contributor
Contributor

Do we know if anyone has received any info about this?

Also having the same problem, 16.2.2 build 19200509

Really need this resolved.

Sam2555
Contributor
Contributor

Reproduce on 16.2.3 build-19376536.
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Independant nonpersistent vmdks used to create a random-named redo-log file.
Are this files still created ?
When do the redo-logs disappear ?
Sorry - cant test this myself as I dont have hardware that would run WS 16 - but I would consider this a serious bug - worth to make some noise about it.
Please provide vmware.log files that illustrate the issue.

Ulli

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's a known bug, which also existed in recent ESXi versions. In ESXi this has been fixed with one of the latest patches.

André

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Indeed, this is a pretty big bug. I'm a professor at a University and about 100 of our students have reported the problem to us.

I have a Debian 11 on VMware Workstation 16.2.3 b19376536 on Windows 11 (but that shouldn't matter).

The scenario is launching a proper Debian 11 VM, logging in and running `mkdir /home/tempfolder` then running `reboot`.
After reboot, the folder is removed.

At first boot "Debian11.vmdk.REDO_a12484" is created, but then after typing `reboot` (which should be a normal Guest Restart), the REDO is discarded and replaced by Debian11.vmdk.REDO_a00236.

I attached the vmware.log. It seems the problem arises at line 1461 where Workstation "thinks" the virtual machine requests a hard reset, which is not the case.

Thanks in advance for looking at this.

0 Kudos
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

thanks for reporting I'm experiencing the same issue in latest version of Fusion (12.2.3). And this is somehow critical for me as well. I have some automation based on this behavior which is n

Is there are any ack/update from VMware on this?

0 Kudos