VMware Communities
ifonly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Increasing the drive size

Hello

Ihave just installed Vmware and trying to set Linux but the drive size is set and allocated to only 1gb max,,,I went ahead with the instalation with Suse and not only did I have to diable some software during the instalation but it didn't even finish because it told me I didn't have enough drive space allocated,.

I tryed everything I could to increase the drive space but to no avail,,,,does anywone know weather I can or not,,,If it can't be done then what good is running and extra OS if you can't use it within the virtual program.Seems to me if I'm going to pay this amount of money for a product I would expect it to do what I want.

I didn't have this problem with Microsoft PC.It lets you allacate as much hard drive you want.

Oh I am installing the on a dual core system with 4gb memory and 3x1tb hard drives + 2x750gb hard drives + 2x500gb hard drives,,,,,each one of my other virtual machines where able to be allocated at least 20gb of drive space to work with.

This is the first time I'm working with Linux and so far my only problem is drive allocation to finish installing Suse in VmWare.

Can any-one help me please.

You can contact me on skype if you like with "Philippe1ooo"

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi - you've not mentioned which VMware product you are having a problem with.

If I assume it's Workstation, when you created your virtual machine you would have been asked what size to set your virtual disk to. - as in the attached screenshot.

More details can be found on page 204 onwards of the manual, which you can find here .

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi - you've not mentioned which VMware product you are having a problem with.

If I assume it's Workstation, when you created your virtual machine you would have been asked what size to set your virtual disk to. - as in the attached screenshot.

More details can be found on page 204 onwards of the manual, which you can find here .

0 Kudos
ifonly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

Sorry,,,yes it's the VmWare Workstation,,,

And yes I was asked to allocate the drive size but it will not let me have more than 1gb ond even the 2gb one is not big enough to install Suse from a disk that is 3.95gb big.

Thank you

0 Kudos
ifonly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did look at that and it seems I missed it somehow,,,,,Thank you and it did accept the extra partition.

Thank you very Much

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Moved to Workstation forum.

0 Kudos
ifonly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

Thank you,,,This problem is now solved with your last suggestion and everything works fine other that the Audio,,,,the virtual machine or the Linux OS will not pickup/find My default speakers but I am working on it.

Again Thank you for your help

0 Kudos