VMware Communities
ropese
Contributor
Contributor

Increasing disk space of a snapshot

Hello,

I realized that i have an issue with memory and disk space on this Ubuntu snapshot I am working on. After I shut down the guest I went into the virtual machine settings -> hard disk and the expand button is disabled. How can I increase the disk space. Is it too late? This is the snapshot I want to export with everything I need installed and configured. and send to a customer. I attached a screenshot of my snapshot manager. Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Fairly certain that you cannot change the size or type of a virtual disk once a snapshot exists.  Delete/merge the snapshot(s).  Then you can enlarge the virtual disk.

Also realize that a snapshot just creates a  newdelta disk with changes made since the snapshot was taken.  By itself, it won't help the customer.  I personally never use them - I merely zip the entire VM folder up and add a date to the filename so I know when the backup was taken.  Send the zip to the customer and have them unzip it to extract all the files, then open the VM and power on.

0 Kudos
ropese
Contributor
Contributor

The snapshot has everything I want on it - including the configurations specific to the customer.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

Clone the VM, select "Current state" and "Full clone". This will create a new VM with your current content, but without snapshots; you should be able to enlarge the disk now.

0 Kudos