VMware Communities
glebreck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Increase drive size of virtual disks?

I have a VM machine running server 2003 with 2 drives in it. When I used converter to make the virtual machine I mistakenly made each drive to small.

Can I resize the drives in the virtual machine.

I read some where that you can fire up VMConverter on the host machine and point it at the VM machine files and create another virtual machine with bigger drives. Is this true? If so does anyone have a how too?

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, I believe you can do that with Converter. However, there are times when Converter will make unnecessary changes to your VM which will completely mess it up. So, just make sure you have a backup before doing any of this!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Refer to Eric's page http://www.vmware-land.com/Resizing_Virtual_Disks.html for several methods for resizing virtual disks.

glebreck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just a little cofused with that article.

I believe I would want Method 2. But the part that confuses me is do I actually run VMConverter on the Virtual machine and virtualize a virtual machine? Or do I run it on the host machine?

And I am just doing this for VMWare workstation.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See

glebreck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

While both of these inevitably lead to the same set of instructions, I see they both deal with shrinking disk size.

I am assuming that using the converter in the VM I can also make the disks larger?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Personally, I use vmware-vdiskmanager to increase the size of the virtual disk, then use a partitioning utility like PartitionMagic, or GParted, or DiskPart in the guest to resize the partitions.

0 Kudos
glebreck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess what I am asking here is that using Converter in the VM I can specify to make the c: drive 20 instead of 10 gig and make the 😧 drive 70 instead of 60 gig?

There should not be any other steps but to use Converter correct?

Sorry if I am not getting it, I am new to VMware and someimes need things spelled out.

Oh and a side question. In the VM folder there are a to of files. How do I know which is the disk file?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, I believe you can do that with Converter. However, there are times when Converter will make unnecessary changes to your VM which will completely mess it up. So, just make sure you have a backup before doing any of this!

0 Kudos
glebreck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will give that a try. Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos