VMware Communities
G8torboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Increase dedicated video ram in workstation player

I have a host computer which is windows 10 pro and contains a 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT960 card. Inside of vmware I am running windows 7pro. I have installed vmware tools, but the dedicated video memory is showing up as 128mb. In the settings I have said I want my video memory to be 2gb. Inside the guest's display settings it says it is using the VMware SVGA 3D driver with a total graphics memory of 2208mb, 128mb dedicated, 0mb system, and 2080mb shared memory. The system is running some of my work programs very slow. I checked with my work IT dept and they said that I need to increase the dedicated memory. I turned off Aero and all visuals and the guest programs are still laggy. How do I increase the dedicated ram? I have googled some solutions online, but they seem to target older version of vmware which do not seem to work. I am running the newest version of workstation player. Do I need to purchase the full version to accomplish this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If your host machine is Windows and you have more than one graphic adapter enabled (such as the Intel integrated graphics), you may want to add this line to the vmx configuration file of the VM.

mks.dx11.vendorID = "0x10de"

This ensures VMware will use the Nvidia adapter as its render device in a Windows host machine.

For a long explanation of that entry, have a look at this thread Make VMWare Workstation use my Nvidia card?

Sorry I don't have an answer for the increasing of SVGA dedicated memory but hopefully the vmx tweak makes a difference for you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If your host machine is Windows and you have more than one graphic adapter enabled (such as the Intel integrated graphics), you may want to add this line to the vmx configuration file of the VM.

mks.dx11.vendorID = "0x10de"

This ensures VMware will use the Nvidia adapter as its render device in a Windows host machine.

For a long explanation of that entry, have a look at this thread Make VMWare Workstation use my Nvidia card?

Sorry I don't have an answer for the increasing of SVGA dedicated memory but hopefully the vmx tweak makes a difference for you.

G8torboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks bluefirestorm!!!! That seems to help.

0 Kudos