VMware Communities
cwalder
Contributor
Contributor

Increase HDD

I have a VM running Windows Server 2003, however I slightly under-estimated how much I would use it and now require a larger hard drive.

This drive ideally needs to be the C drive. I have read some other posts on increasing hard drive space, but there seems to be quite a few methods around.

I decided to start by finding Acronis True Image. I created a new Virtual Disk in VMWare, and activated it in the Windows Server OS. However, when trying to copy the installer over to this new drive (B:), I get an error saying that there is not enough space available on the guest OS to paste.. however there's 40GB free, and no files whatsoever on this disk.

So, my question is.. can I use this existing 40GB Virtual Disk file, and merge the contents of the original Virtual Disk that runs the OS (C:), into the 40GB one?

If so, what is the easiest way to do this without using Disk Clone software. I've read in some previous discussions about the vdiskmanager application, but am unsure on the safest and easiest way to use it.

Forgive me for re-posting if this actual problem has been answered, but I couldn't find anything exactly like this in a search.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

The easiest way to increase disk size is to use VMware Converter.

Install it in the guest and create another copy of your virtual machine, this time with virtual disk that you desire. You can have file system resized at the same time.