VMware Communities
Alex802
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys"

Hi everybody,

I am new here so please have patience with me

I have VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build 126130 installed on a Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1 updated to day. I had Workstation working fine with all my virtual machines but now I got into this problem I do not know how to fix (tried clean reinstall VMware Workstation software package a couple times but it didn't fix it, one time had my firewall/anitvirus package Comodo disabled - still not working).

Practically evey time I try to start any virtual machine that works on another system (so it's not the VM's problem) I get this message:

Could not get vmx86 driver version: The handle is invalid. You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Workstation. Failed to initialize monitor device.

Followed by a message box saying:

Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to.

Any advice you could give me? Could not find anybody having this issue on Internet.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Ugla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That still leaves the security risk of running programs as administrator when it shouldn't be necessary!

Problem is, by running as administrator, VMware player/workstation can do more harm to my computer - if a hack of some kind could take advantage of any vulnerabilities in the program.

As for now, that is probably not very likely. But as virtualization becomes more widespread, it is also likely that hackers would look into ways of getting an infected virtual machine to infect the host as well.

And when that happens (i.e. by finding vulnerabilities in VMware Tools - which is installed in the virtual machine, and communicates with the host OS), running as administrator gives malware the upper hand against Vistas safeguards.

So:

1. I'd really preferred running the program without administrative privileges.

2. I do not want to change shortcuts - so that I may forget the security risk of running as administrator

0 Kudos
Arbra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A Support Ticket has been submitted for this issue to Comodo. Let's hope they investigate and resolve this issue in a timely manner. If I hear something back from Comodo I'll post it here.

0 Kudos
Ugla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great! Hopefully this is resolved in a few weeks!

0 Kudos
rd1381
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

5 month later and vmware workstation 7 but still the problem exists

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you guys tried adding exceptions for vmware-authd.exe to the Comodo firewall?

0 Kudos
rd1381
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how can i do that?

my dfence+ is disabled

and i have granted access to allvmware in firewall.

what more does it want?

0 Kudos
shuxinwei
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i'm using windows 7 ultimate sp1 x64,and I also using comodo firewall version 5.8,so,i think comodo firewall block something in vmware starting

0 Kudos
vmQuint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Anyone figure out a fix yet?

I just loaded up a fresh Win 7 Pro

did the Win updates

added comodo firewall and Gdata AV

installed Workstation 803

getting

Could not get vmx86 driver version: The handle is invalid. You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Workstation. Failed to initialize monitor device

Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to.

"Running as administrator" does fix it and is a work-around, but is there a fix that does it the right way and doesn't create a security hole?

I tried turning off Comodo and it still doesn't work without running as admin.  Comodo seems pretty 'sticky' and hard to turn off, so at this point I thought I would turn to the brilliance in the forum before uninstalling and other such major surgery.

0 Kudos