VMware Communities
EricPBlack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Incorrect Version of Driver "vmci.sys" not Fixed by Reinstalling Workstation 10.0.4

I recently installed Workstation 10.0.4 on my new desktop PC. I copied my VMs from my old PC and they were working fine. Today I can't seem to run any of them. Before the guest O/S loads I get the error:

VMErr.png

I tried running the VMWare Workstation 10.0.4 installer and choosing Repair but it didn't help.

I found other reports of this error in Workstation 8 said it could be fixed by: "modifying the VMX files and setting vmci0.present = "FALSE". This will allow the VM to boot, but you won't have any network/Internet access."

I tried making that change and it does allow the VM to boot and it seems to have internet access, but it was running very slowly (not sure if that was caused by the change). Is there another fix?

I've attached the support file for 2 VMs. The one called metro still has the error. The one called VB6 has the vmci0.present = "FALSE" setting so it boots OK.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricPBlack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I saw a note in another thread that the repair option isn't reliable so I did an uninstall and re-install with reboots inbetween. The problem appears to be fixed now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricPBlack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I saw a note in another thread that the repair option isn't reliable so I did an uninstall and re-install with reboots inbetween. The problem appears to be fixed now.

0 Kudos
TGESoftware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my case, working with VMWare Workstation 12.1, not only does this error still occur, but the only way to fix it was to follow the directions above, then delete the saved VM state, thereby losing the work that was waiting to be resumed.

This is really annoying.  Is there any way VMWare could take the time to make sure their updates don't adversely affect users?  Some level of quality assurance testing that could be performed?  Just sayin'....

0 Kudos