VMware Communities
wtp1000
Contributor
Contributor

In Workstation Pro 12.5.6 nothing happens when I open a vmx file for Windows 10 guest OS

Hi, In Workstation Pro 12.5.6 nothing happens when I open a vmx file for Windows 10 guest OS. When I click resume I get a message (shown below) saying that it the vmdk file can't be found. However, I can the file in that directory with Windows Explorer. A couple of months ago, I moved the VMware Virtual Machines directory to a USB drive because I needed more space on my hard drive. After the move I was able to run the virtual machine. Today I upgraded Workstation Pro to 12.5.6 from whatever version was most recent in April 2017. Now I can't open that virtual machine on the USB drive even though I opened it a couple of months ago.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks very much!

pastedImage_0.png

Regards,

Bill

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

When the VM was suspended delete the virtual machine suspended state (filename: *.vmss)
Also check the vmx-file: - it may contain a reference to the vmss-file. Delete  that reference.

0 Kudos
wtp1000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi continuum, thanks very much for your reply. I am getting the same error after deleting the .vmss file and removing the statement in the .vmr file that contained that file name. I played around with it and at one point got a browse dialog box so I could chose the vmdk file directly. I clicked on "Windows 10 x64 (2)-000004.vmdk" which was the same name as in the vmr file. I got exactly the same error message saying that the vmdk file could not be found. So, I think that vmdk is corrupt some how or is in a state that can't be read correctly. The error message is misleading.

So, I reinstalled Windows 10 which took a very long time to do on the USB drive. Fortunately there is nothing on the "Windows 10 x64 (2)" drive that I lost for good except the time to install it.

I don't know if this question is considered answered or closed or what.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos