VMware Communities
SommyJo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In LAN "Host only" the VMs do not receive IP address from the DHCP Server.

I created in Workstation Pro 16 a virtual network that simulates a physical network, with 6 VMs and 3 Virtual Networks.

In the center there is a VM with pfSense firewall with 3 Virtual Adapters.

A V.A. it is in bridge with the WiFi of the PC and receives the IP from the DHCP of my router. This is the WAN network of pfSense.

The other two V.A. refer to two "Host Only" Virtual Networks: VM-LAN and VM-DMZ.
pfSense assigns an IP address for each of the two networks with two independent DHCP servers.
In the Virtual Network Editor, I obviously disabled the DHCP server in the configuration of these two networks.

Then there are 5 VMs with Win10Pro with V.A. associated with the VM-LAN network and one VM with FreeBSD associated with the VM-DMZ network.

Neither of these VMs receive the IP address from the two pfSense DHCP Servers.

All VMs have been updated, reinstalled the VM-Tools and I have tested networks several times, to no results.

From what I read in the documentation, all 5 PCs and pfSense, using the same V-LAN Host Only network should see each other, but obviously this is not the case.

I could solve this by assigning PCs a Static IP, but I would like the test to be as realistic as possible. In the real network, pfSense assigns the IP addresses.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just to clarity, is this what you describe . . . 

CarltonR_0-1664896253633.png

As part of your investigation, I would suggest you divide the problem into manageable chunks to confirm [and exclude] where the issue may or may not reside.  For example, is it a VMware Workstation or pfSence related problem, do the various individual subsystems operate correctly (VMs, Virtual Networks, WAN, pfSense/DHCP, etc.,).

So would suggest first of all, checking that the Host Only VMs are working as expected.  So start with giving the connected Win 10 VM devices for the time being, fixed IPs within the same subnet (or alternatively, or in addition to, temporality enable the VMware DHCP on the Virtual Host Only Networks), and then confirm that they can communicate with each other and the pfSense VM.  Then do the same for the FreeBSD VM.

Then, if this all works out, return the VM's back to DHCP to focus on the pfSense DHCP services.  For this I would suggest reviewing the relevant pfSense documentation to provide a bit more focus on where the issue may reside.

I'm assuming that the pfSense VM is successfully picking up a DHCP allocated IP from your WAN [Bridged] network ?

0 Kudos