VMware Communities
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Importing a VM generated with Fusion 12 to Workstaiton PRO 15 No Network and display Problems

Hello,

I have received a VM machine generated with Fusion V12 running Redhat linux OS.

I use Workstation PRO 15 version.

I tried to open the VM machine, but get an error during power on: 

The virtual machine is using a hardware version that is not supported by this version of VMware Workstation.

Module 'Upgrade' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Then I had to use change hardware compatibilty and selected alter this machine.

I can open it and power ON, but nothing works, no network, no way to ping this machine from my windows 10, and some others problems like keyboard and graphic display.

Hope you can help and I thank you in advance.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your answer I will try to understand it looks no easy one!!

Aobut the NAT card added, I used an existing NAT which works for another VM in my range DNS and DHCP, but cannot succeed to get internet connection!! 

Thanks again and hope I can find a good and stable solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

As I did not get any answers I suppose nobody can help too?

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

What version of Red Hat?

The network not coming up can be due to 2 reasons.
First of it might be that on Fusion it was set to a custom network. You can fix that by either setting the network to either NAT or Bridged.

Second it might be a guest issue (most likely). If you move to another host and selected "copy" instead of "move" on first startup of the VM then the VM gets new virtual hardware ID's.
In that case the network adapter is seen as a new adapter and now needs to be reconfigured.
How that works completely depends on the redhat version as Linux changes how basics such as network configuration work every few versions.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

thanks for answering to my question and problem.

When I opened the VM from Fusion, I answered Move and not copy.

I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.8 (Maipo)

In Network settings I selected Custom: Specific virtual Network and VMnet0 (Nat)

I selected this one because I have already a VM working fine same Redhat version,  and using this Custom network.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ok, so a VM using systemd.
Lot's of potential networking issues there.
In particular with DNS.

Is the NIC recognized?
What is the output of:

ip -br a

Is the VM configured to use a static IP address or get an IP from DHCP?

What is the IP range of your NAT network?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I have prepared some print-screens better than trying to explain and answer to your questions and added Ifconfig result too.

I think you will better understand the print screens rather than explanations.

But as far i can see I can attach only one file. SO, I send you  a Zip file containing the whole print-screens, hope this OK.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Your VM's NIC runs and is up.
It's IP is 192.168.120.10 ... still fine (basically)

But then you show your Network configuration in Virtual Network Editor.

You have selected vmnet0 ... normally vmnet0 is the Bridged network.. but you only have one network.
There should be 3 lines (1 for Bridged, 1 for NAT and 1 for host only)

This makes it seem like you changed vmnet0 over to a NAT configuration?

The DHCP setting is 192.168.200.128 to 192.168.200.254

Note that your VM's IP is not within the DHCP range...

I'd say your network configuration is messed up and strongly suggest that you use the "Restore Defaults" button in the Virtual Network Editor.

Then if you want your VM to use NAT, set it to NAT in the VM's configuration, not in the virtual network editor.

eg.

wila_0-1616804617151.png

--
Wil

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I followed your recommandation by restoring default into Virtual Network Editor and then select NAT to my target VM. 

I have still network failed, and the IP address is still no changed even by selecting the NAT.

Hope you have an idea solving this situation.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If the IP address is not changed then that hints that you are having a static IP address, not one that is queried via DHCP. If it would listen to DHCP then there would not be an IP address.

I don't have a red hat 7 box handy and I'm more of a debian guy myself, but it looks like that you are looking for folder /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

see: https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/network-interface-linux

There make sure that the BOOTPROTO setting is "dhcp" as in the article above.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

After a while I was out for a long period, I succeed tofix a new IP address and now I can logon. I used nmuti command and there I was able to set the IPaddress correctly.

Now, I have a new problems isthat the VM generates errors like:

SQL0980C A disk error occurred. Subsequent SQL statements cannot be
processed.

It looks like that the files or others elements are corrupted.

Do you have any idea on where I should analyse the problems or should I open a new Post??

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

That's a DB2 problem, not a VMware one.

Seems like the VM did not shut down cleanly when it was send to you.
While I know a lot about different SQL engines, sadly it has been a long long time since I last touched db2.
I suggest you to post the question in a DB2 related forum instead.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Indeed it was a DB2 problem and I solved it.

I have another quesiton about network connection.

Because of internal configuration I have to use custom VM Host only and keep existing IP ADDRESS, but doing that I am not able to get internet connection.

Do you know a possibility on how I can maybe ad a network card getting internet.

As example host only uses IP address: 190.190.120.20 and for Internet I must use Ip addresses from 190.190.200.20 up to .255.

I tried to add a NAT card with this range but still does not work, means do not get outside.

Maybe you can help and thanks in advance.  (IP addresses are not my context just examples).

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

In your case I would add another VM for the routing/bridging, for example a pfsense one (or even a freeSCO vm). That VM then has at least two network cards, one bridged and the other one in your custom network.

Configuring that is a completely different topic. I would suggest to search the forum first.

The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to customize your VM much and in case you get an update you can just plop in the new one.

re. a custom NAT one not working... no idea. I would have guessed that to work, but only if the VM's gateway and DNS settings match with the DHCP settings that the NAT config uses as default.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
MichBU
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your answer I will try to understand it looks no easy one!!

Aobut the NAT card added, I used an existing NAT which works for another VM in my range DNS and DHCP, but cannot succeed to get internet connection!! 

Thanks again and hope I can find a good and stable solution.

0 Kudos