VMware Communities
kerschi
Contributor
Contributor

Importing Physical windows 2000 Server problem

Hallo,

i have imported tonight a physical windows 2000 server into a Workstation 6.5.3.

But i have found a problem that the network settings were lost. Is this by default or what happened. The problem is that this is a Webserver with many IP-Addresses configured, so there is much work to do manually, also there is no message on the import wizard that this behaviour happens.

Any hint how i can overcome this problem when i give it a new try? Is it better to use vSphere Converter 4.0.1?

Thanks

Kerschenbauer Wolfgang

0 Kudos
6 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

have the same problem, but the easiest way is to set the ip manually once again into the new server.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
kerschi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

that is true, but my machine is a webserver and have some networkcards with many ip-adresses configured, and it takes a long time to configure it correctly.

But i have additionally found out that everything is still in the registry. The problem is only that the "physical network cards" have not been found (because they are no longer available in the virtual environment) and so the same amount of virtual network cards have been added. Now, the only thing which must be done is to "move" the registry keys for network configuration from the old physical network adapters to the new virtual network adapters.

Maybe someone from the Development team can give them a try. I have done a search in the registry for one of the ip-addresses which were configured and this should be the point to start.

Thanks

Kerschenbauer Wolfgang

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

The reasson why the IP info is still in the registry is that it's bound to a hidden or 'ghost' adaptor after the P2V. If you go into the windows device manager and goto View -> Show hidden devices you'll be able to see the ghost nics. If you want to re-use the IP addresses then you'll have to jot down the IP info and then remove the hidden nics and reboot (sometimes I've had this and had to reboot twice before I can r-assign the IP addresses to the virtual nic)

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

It's a good idea to clean up a little bit after the conversion:

Enter that on the command line:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

devmgmt.msc

and choose to show hidden devices. Delete what you don't need anymore (like SCSI controllers not present anymore). Be sure to make a snapshot before (carefully) deleting something. Otherwise you may have to convert again... 7248_7248.gif

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
kerschi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the cleanup-tip.

But i think that it would be a good idea to optimize the importer a little bit so it works "without" extra work on the network part.

Thanks

Kerschenbauer W.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

next time export network settings with netsh.

Then do the import with Converter.

Then clean up as AWO explained.

Finally import settings again with netsh

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos