VMware Communities
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Images used on a new system are requesting new registration with Microsoft

Is there a way to turn off cpu checking so this doesnt happen?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, in your scenario, it sounds like create is the appropriate response. Just realize that you ARE now dealing with a different VM - and MS's product activation WILL be triggered (unless you have a Volume License which does not have activation).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Dale,

I am not sure that I fully understand your question.

Are you moving a VM image to a new system and Windows want reactivation?

What is the exact version of Windows guest OS?

0 Kudos
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Kevin,

I have a set of images which i create on a Dell 2950 host. Most of the hosts we move them to are also dell 2950s. We also need to move them to Dell precision 670s. The guest image is a windows server 2003 Enterprise Edition R2 and the OS is saying that the hardward is significantly change so we have to reactivate the license with Microsoft.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, if you selected "Create"/Moved to the UUID prompt which appeared the first time you powered on the copied/moved guests, then yes. The MAC address of the virtual NIC was changed, and the CPU is different. Those things are enough to trigger the re-activation.

0 Kudos
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

very interesting

actually i selected always create. i used this because months ago it seemed the only way to be able to move these images.

are you saying i should should say always keep? or ?

i think we were trying to avoid this question for everyone.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you dont have volume licensing, there is a simple argument

Do you have a new license for the new copy? if yes, then say create

If no, and you're working off the 1 license and therefore the microsoft thought police will come get you. Say KEEP as it will think its a new copy.

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>are you saying i should should say always keep? or ?

That depends. Are you making copies of these VMs to run in multiple places? Then choose create. If you are merely moving the VM around and will only run it in one place, choose keep.

bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i go to bed at night with fears that the MS thought police will some day find me. So far I have been one step ahead of them, but todays not over.

I will try 'keep'. You are saying that i can move these images to different systems. Can I have your name, rank, and social to give to the thot boys as a defense? I dont want them to throw me in with OJ and those other bad boys.

0 Kudos
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

this seems to be different than what Liz answered. i do plan to move these images to other systems. i make the images and send them to the testers. they dont all have the same hw config. you seem to be saying create, which is what i have said. i chose always create.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, in your scenario, it sounds like create is the appropriate response. Just realize that you ARE now dealing with a different VM - and MS's product activation WILL be triggered (unless you have a Volume License which does not have activation).

0 Kudos
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In our case, we do have a volume license but this image was originally created back in the dark ages so i will need to find out how to change the current license on it to our volume license.

thanks for all your help

0 Kudos