VMware Communities
Greenscorpion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Iam new to vmware and i am currently evaluating the new workstation 7

I tried to connect linux redhat4 Guest to my windows 7 host and it cannot,I want to create networking between them without the bridge. Is Vmware really as good as they say it is, because it looks so uneasy to connect.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you do not want to use Bridged then you can use NAT or Host-Only to create a Network Connection between Host and Guest and vise verse.

I'd suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual so as to gain a better understanding of the Virtual Network Infrastructure.

Also keep in mind that the Firewalls on both the Host and Guest may need to be configured to allow connectivity between them and if need be temporarily turn off all Firewalls, AntiVirus and Security Software on both the Host and the Guest when troubleshooting connectivity issues and re-enable in a logical manner to determine what if any are causing connectivity issues between them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Moving to the VMware Workstation forum.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

basically you have to configure the VM's network for "Host-Only" networking and setup the guest (RedHat) to use DHCP. If the RedHat VM detects the virtual NIC and the DHCP address gets assigned then everything should work.

If it doesn't work, please explain your configuration.

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you do not want to use Bridged then you can use NAT or Host-Only to create a Network Connection between Host and Guest and vise verse.

I'd suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual so as to gain a better understanding of the Virtual Network Infrastructure.

Also keep in mind that the Firewalls on both the Host and Guest may need to be configured to allow connectivity between them and if need be temporarily turn off all Firewalls, AntiVirus and Security Software on both the Host and the Guest when troubleshooting connectivity issues and re-enable in a logical manner to determine what if any are causing connectivity issues between them.

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Basically, the solution for u is Hypervisor Layer 2, For example VMware Workstation 7.1.3, VMware Server 2.0.2, Microsoft Hypervisor 2008, Citrix Desktop.

It looks the best solution is VMware Workstation for u, as it is easy to install and manage.

If you want the VM just connect to your host, choose one of the vmNet, and go to network and sharing of your windows 7 (host) and set the IP that your VM can ping.

Saman

Greenscorpion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for my late response, I just got frustrated with the whole thing, pleases what sort of information should i provide.

0 Kudos
Greenscorpion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for my late Response and thanks for your effort. The chapters where helpful but my problem was not solved.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How do you want to connect the guest to the host?

How did you setup the virtual network for the guest? Did you configure Host-Only?

Is the guest configured to use DHCP?

What's the output of "ifconfig" from the guest?

What's the output of "ipconfig /all" on the Windows host?

André

0 Kudos
Greenscorpion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Andre,

Thanks for your help on this issue .

First of all , i will like to connect to the guest using a web browser,I have oracle ebiz suit(financial)  installed on the guest and this application is used with the web browser. I configured host only and i can ping the guest from host. I have attached a screen shot of my ping.

I can also ping the host from guest.  So i basically dont know what is going on or what next i need to do.

The name of my  guest domain is  "gad.server"  while my oracle port is :8000,  so from host i type http://gad.server:8000 and it should

load the web page from guest. I have attached 2 files please check for me and tell me what is next.Thanks a billion in advance.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I submit that if you can ping Host to Guest and visa verse then this is not a VMware Workstation issue.

Secondly with having to insert an image into a Word Document for the output of the ping command instead of simply copying and pasting it from the Command Prompt directly to the reply then I submit that you probably do not have something related to Oracle properly configured if you can't access it in the manner it's supposed to be accessed.

You should probably be looking first to Oracle and Oracle E-Business Suite centric message boards and or Oracle Product Documentation for help with what appears to be more of an Oracle E-Business Suite issue not a VMware Workstation issue.

I'll repeat the following as all to often it can be the cause of the issue so keep in mind that the Firewalls on both the Host and Guest may need to be configured to allow connectivity between them and if need be temporarily turn off all Firewalls, AntiVirus and Security Software on both the Host and the Guest when troubleshooting connectivity issues and re-enable in a logical manner to determine what if any are causing connectivity issues between them.

Additionally you should make sure the Port you're trying to access is Open on the Guest.

0 Kudos
Greenscorpion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your comment,

I beleive the problem is not oracle because anytime i select bridge and their is an internet connection on my host it does work.

I am able to call the web pages of my guest from host, but anytime i take my laptop elsewhere and their is no internet connection ,

it does not work.That was why i raised this issue in the first place and i was advised to use "host only connection" instead of bridge.

but the host only dont work at all wether their is internet connection or no connection.I beleive neither Bridge nor Host- only   should depend

on the internet connection .I updated my host file as shown above with the values of IP address in my VMNET1 adapter for vhost only, it made no difference.

Thank you  for your concern.

0 Kudos