VMware Communities
StefanoK
Contributor
Contributor

ISBRendererComm : Lost connection to mksSandbox and MKS -RendererMain : Failed to start the renderer

Hi all,

I just started using a new virtual machine on my VMware Workstation. Its worth to mention that i have other VM on the station and they are working fine but for some reason on this one i got those two errors and some warnings. I tryed to google it but i didnt find any specific answer. I hope you can somehow help me. I posted down below in the attachment sector photos of the errors with logs.

Thank you in advance 🙂

0 Kudos
72 Replies
josifh
Contributor
Contributor

Wrong reply, sorry. But why i can't delete my posts ?!

0 Kudos
mstepura
Contributor
Contributor

In case if anyone was hoping the mskSandbox bugs would be fixed in VMWare Workstation 17 - the issue is still there, at least for 17.0.

0 Kudos
kutewenox
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,
I'm assuming it's an error, but after a lot of trying I found the solution:
Add "mks.dx12.vendorID = "0x10de"" to .vmx file and the vm also can use with accelerate 3d graphics. (The vondorID describes the (i)gpuID and shown in the device manager.)
Please try.
nrjank
Contributor
Contributor

in fact, I was running a linux vm on win10 host fine in v16, just upgraded to v17, and started getting this error when trying to boot my vm. disabling graphics acceleration seemed to solve the problem. not ideal. might downgrade back to 16.

0 Kudos
Networxs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

encountered same issue when upgrading from VM Workstation Player 16 to 17.0.0 and my WinXP VM could not be started anymore due to subjected Error. While running chkdsk on particular .vmdk did not help, eventually disabling 3D graphics acceleration in particular VM's Hardware > Display settings did.

0 Kudos
r01100011
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for this. I am using 17.0.0 build-20800274, and I got this error. Disabling Accelerate 3D graphics resolved this issue.

I got this problem when I trying to install Windows 11 VM on a Windows 10 host.

0 Kudos
hfcVM
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this exact problem with VMWare 17.0.1 on Linux Pop!OS 22.  I really thought I was going to have to find another VM solution.  Thanks for this suggestion!!

-HF

0 Kudos
pedoc
Contributor
Contributor

vmware 17 same probrom

0 Kudos
BadOmen
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on Workstation 17.0.2 on an HP EliteBook 850 G5.  I'm having the same problem in a Windows 7 VM.  Problem is that disabling 3D acceleration also disables the Windows Aero theme.  This really pisses me off.  For a program that I pay for, I would hope that there would be a better fix for it by now.  It's been two years.

I've even tried downgrading VMware Tools version to 10.3.5, and same thing.  Downgraded the hardware compatibility to version 15.x, same thing.  It's one thing if all I need to do is install the VM as HW version 15 off the bat.  But I have a couple of Win7 VM that I made a couple of years ago, and that would mean that I would have to reinstall them outright (I've upgraded their hardware versions).  One is a cloned physical disk, and I really don't want to have to do that again if it starts having the same problem.

Edit: Sorry for being snarky and crappy.  Was uncalled for.  I had just figured out how to get my Vista VMs to work properly, and then started having problems with Windows 7.  just big grimace.

Edit: So far, downgrading hardware version to Workstation 14.x (if 15.x doesn't work) and reducing GPU RAM seems to work so far.  But this should still be fixed.

0 Kudos
joserfonseca
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@BadOmen, this is a generic error message -- there is not one issue that triggers this error message -- but lots of different and new issues -- often due to D3D12 driver issues.

To understand and fix your particular problem, we'll need vmware.log and mksSandbox.log files, and a description of what was happening in the guest when the error happened.

Per https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05903028 the HP EliteBook 850 G5 has a Intel UHD Graphics 620 and an optional discrete AMD Radeon R59.  Does your system has the optional AMD GPU?

@mjkrol , FYI.

0 Kudos
BadOmen
Contributor
Contributor

No it does not.  It's definitely a graphics issue, given as I'll open an app like Chess Titans to test on Win7, and that will do it.

Downgrading the HW version of the VM and reducing GPU RAM to 1 or 2GB seems to help so far.

0 Kudos
mjkrol
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

BadOmen,

Can you attach a vmware.log and mksSandbox.log?

0 Kudos
BadOmen
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.  So I built a test VM, upgraded to HW 17.X and most recent VMware Tools.  3D acceleration enabled, and 1GB GPU RAM.  4 Cores CPU, 4GB RAM, SATA drive.  I went in to a built-in Windows game like Chess Titans, and it crashed within a minute.  I attached the files in the zip.

Also, Sorry for being snarky and crappy. Was uncalled for. I had just figured out how to get my Vista VMs to work properly with an older version of VMware Tools, and then started having problems with Windows 7.

0 Kudos
BadOmen
Contributor
Contributor

So before upgrading that VM to 17.X, I originally built it for HW 15.X.  So I copied a backup, and ran that.  Crashed as well (logs attached).  However, downgrading to HW 14.X, and no problems so far.  Played some games that used graphics, etc.  No problem.  So it looks like Windows 7 with 3d acceleration enabled needs to stay at HW version 14.X so far.

ChrisWV
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Friend,

Could you kindly let me know Where can find the file as you mentioned for add -mks.dx12.vendorID = "0x10de", for solve the problem.

my mail adress at:veirtas100@126.com

thank you,

Chris

0 Kudos
TomPham1
Contributor
Contributor

It is in the location where you store the disk (vmdk)

if you use the default then it is in

C:\Users\<UserID>\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 10 x64

0 Kudos
Alexh28
Contributor
Contributor

Funcionó para mi gracias

0 Kudos
Developer5
Contributor
Contributor

FIXED IN VMWARE WORKSTATION 17.5. PLEASE UPGRADE YOUR SOFTWARE.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nrjank
Contributor
Contributor

Confirming I was able to reenable hardware acceleration without error

0 Kudos
VfDEngineer
Contributor
Contributor

i have/had the same issue with upgraded W10 to W11 machines. but when my machiens are upgraded to V17.5.x HW, the W11 machines keep freezing with 3d graphics disabled.  when degrading back to V17.x they chrash again. but i cannot add the line of code into the VMX file, because the machines need to be encrypted.

0 Kudos