Highlighted
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

IPv6 - when?

Jump to solution

By using the new Windows operating systems (Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2) I'd like to switch from the obsolete IPv4 to the new IPv6 Internet Protocol standard.

Is there a roadmap about when VMware Workstation is going to fully support IPv6?

Axel Dahmen

[VMware]: Workstation 16 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Highlighted
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi again @ziw9Z7AaTGq,

(Responding to a post which now seems to be deleted.)

If you are using Bridged mode, VMware Workstation really should be forwarding the network packets directly from the host device to the guest and vice-versa.  The only part of VMware Workstation which truly interacts with bridged IPv6 packets is the virtual E1000[e]/vmxnet3 NIC's IP checksum offload feature.

I would next try using Wireshark or tcpdump or similar inside the guest to examine the packets arriving at the guest's network interface and to examine any response issued by the VM.  Be mindful that Wireshark in the guest might indeed report IP checksum errors if the guest OS is configured to use IP checksum offload for its network device; This is normal and expected because Wireshark will only see outgoing packets prior to the IP checksum being computed by the virtual hardware.  Wireshark on the host should see all IPv6 packets with the correct computed checksum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the further advice on this; unfortunately it is not possible to make wireshark work on Fedora command line.

It looks as though the only way to fix this issue is to find a programmer somewhere who can rewrite the VMWare binaries and create a working solution (as usual, paid support does not seem to be available from VMware unless you are a corporate customer).

Incidentally, it was not myself who deleted the previous post (more of the usual "solution" to dealing with user issues for things that the software company would rather not acknowledge?).

- ziw9Z7AaTGq

0 Kudos
Highlighted
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From the command line, you will probably want tshark (which is the command-line interface to wireshark).  What problem are you encountering when you run it?  I am quite certain that it will be possible to get wireshark/tshark working on Fedora, we just have to figure out how... you might need to set up the appropriate permissions for it to work, for example.

P.S. I'm a VMware engineer and I've fixed networking issues in the past (although I'm not on the networking team).  Your easiest path to getting things fixed is to work with me and figure out what's going wrong. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
User Moderator
User Moderator

ziw9Z7AaTGq said:
"Incidentally, it was not myself who deleted the previous post (more of the usual "solution" to dealing with user issues for things that the software company would rather not acknowledge?)."

FYI, we do not delete posts here in this forum. The only posts that are removed are the ones that are clear spam or abuse.
In that case the posts are moved to a holding area and your post was not there (I checked).
Not saying that it cannot happen, but it is being severely frowned upon by everybody in the moderator team and certainly not policy.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos