VMware Communities
ElbowGeekster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've downloaded Workstation - but the installer won't run!

This is all very odd. I have downloaded Workstation on Win XP, I double-click on the executable, it presents me with the dialog box asking whether I really want to run it, I select Run, it flashes the splash screen for a fraction of a second, then...

Nothing. I tried downloading Server 2.0, and I get the same result. I've tried running other downloaded executables and they work fine, so this has me utterly baffled. Has anyone ever encountered this behaviour before?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There was an issue with something like webcam.exe or something along those lines, like webcamhelper or such, which meant application starting with the letters vm wouldnt run.

There was a good few posts about it here - it sounds like what you're seeing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ElbowGeekster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I disabled a whole bunch of processes in memory and it started running, so all is well. Now I just gotta figure out how to get the thing running!

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There was an issue with something like webcam.exe or something along those lines, like webcamhelper or such, which meant application starting with the letters vm wouldnt run.

There was a good few posts about it here - it sounds like what you're seeing.

0 Kudos
ElbowGeekster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And indeed it was a disabling a webcam related exe which did the trick. Thanks!

0 Kudos
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it's unbelievable! same problem!

My vmware server 2.0 won't work anymore, so i reinstall it several times, tried to install previous vmware server version but no success.

At the end I tried vmware workstation. Here the installation process work BUT when I try to launch vmware.exe: NOTHING. So I saw that vmware authorization service and vmware host agent were not running but everytime I tried to start them I received error 1053 "bla bla bla timely fashion". After that I saw this thread. I've got a webcam installed on my wks that is managed by vsnp325.exe; killing this process IT FINALLY WORKS!

Thanks to everybody....

0 Kudos
SilkoBilko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also had the problem with the installer flashing up then disappearing on XP pro 64bit. Tried sys restore, repairing, adding DLL's etc. What I should have done is look here first and would have saved myself a few problems and half a days work.

After reading the info here I noticed that a Veho Discovery microscope was my problem. Located the process running in Taskmanager. Killed it and everything ran fine from that point on.

Thanks to those who took the time and trouble to respond to this post and others like this with solutions. Without whom I would probably be re-installing my OS

0 Kudos