VMware Communities
aniruddhajagdal
Contributor
Contributor

I'm unable to access internet on my guest OS which is RHEL 6.6

Hello All,

I'm unable to access internet on my guest OS which is RHEL 6.6, I'm using VM 10 Workstation on Windows 7 machine. Network Adapter settings are set as NAT. Please advise, as how can I access internet on my guest machine.

Kind regards,

Aniruddha

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1. Virtual machines running on the network with the NAT device can dynamically obtain their IP addresses by sending out a DHCP request. The DHCP server on the NAT network, which is also used in host-only networking configurations,

--- please check

a. DHCP is enabled for VMnet8. Which can be found in menu->Edit->Virtual Network Editor

b. VMware DHCP service is started. Which ca be found in run->service.msc-> VMware DHCP service

2. The NAT device acts as a DNS server for the virtual machines on the NAT network. Actually, the NAT device is a DNS proxy and merely forwards DNS requests from the virtual machines to a DNS server that is known by the host. Responses come back to the NAT device, which then forwards them to the virtual machines.

--- please check

a. NAT is configured properly. If you don't know how to configure it. Please restore default setting: menu->Edit->Virtual Network Editor->restore default.

b. VMware NAT service is started. Which ca be found in run->service.msc-> VMware NAT service

Suggest r to read our history KB to understand NAT better: Understanding NAT</title><p></p><span class="h3"><a name="...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

And don't forget to confirm that you guest OS's network setting is configured. It's better to check if service NetworkManager is running and traceroute or dig the outside ip.

0 Kudos
aniruddhajagdal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your inputs, however I had already checked your points but still it didn't work. And till date I'm not able to use internet on my guest OS (which is RHEL 6.6).

Regards,

Aniruddha

0 Kudos