VMware Communities
xAyiDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm done with Workstation!

Since Vmware axxed Vmware Server I have been searching for a good replacement. Hyper-V is slow. Workstation has no servicemode. And the others are a bunch of bare-metal hypervisors which I do not want on my htpc. Anyways, I finally came to conclusion I should try workstation and find out some way to run it as service. Said and done I bought it, but I now have problems!

1. Installed as Service VMs keep being shutdown dirty when host reboots.

2. My HTPC has been all but stabe since I installed WKS 7.1.4, massive amounts of BSODs

3. Seems to be something odd with network, since it uses way more CPU than server in the same respect.

So does anyone have any ideas what I can do about above? Why can't vmware just get 7.1.4 run as smooth as server with the added support for running as service and start / stop with the host? Now that server is scrapped I do not see the point in not adding that feature?

And what about the blue screens, anyone else seen those? (I didn't have it with server, but I guessed maybe something got messed up after uninstalling server so I reinstalled the whole computer and directly added wks 7.1.4 but with the same result, BSOD, a few days in between each)

And lastly whats up with the network, it seems eat CPU at slightest use.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

1. Installed as Service VMs keep being shutdown dirty when host reboots.

Well what do you expect!?  VMware Workstation is not designed to be run as a Service!

As to the other issues you're having as a result of installing VMware Workstation 7.1.4 I'd suggest you uninstall it and reinstall a previous version that was not giving you any problems as that will probably be the best solution until the next update.

0 Kudos
mbeierl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know it sounds quite off topic, but I would recommend running a memory test on that hardware before getting too far down the software troubleshooting path.  These "random errors" and BSODs you are describing sound remarkably like loose or faulty memory.

Just $0.02 worth of troubleshooting.

0 Kudos