VMware Communities
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have workstation-pro 15.x - if upgrade to 17, how many PCs can run this upgraded software?

I have workstation-pro 15.x  -

if upgrade to 17, how many PCs can run this upgraded software?

vmware.com/products/workstation-pro.html 

I also do not remember my old - workstation-pro 15 - product key... well can upgrade to 17...?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you already have Fusion 13 Player installed (either using a purchased Fusion 13 Player key or a "free" personal use license key) there's no need to uninstall Fusion 13 to switch from Player to Pro. Start Fusion 13 and click  "VMware Fusion" on the Mac menu bar, then select "License...". Enter the new Fusion Pro key in the dialog, then exit and restart Fusion. You can verify through "About VMware Fusion" if the license key "took".

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

34 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can get your key by logging into your account. If you want to test 17 with the 30 day trial, it will wipe out your 15 install and re-installing that will require your license key. You could test on another system and copy the VM's for testing. 

I have run 17 and 17.01 OK on a Linux (LMDE5) host. I had a problem with video drivers when I upgraded to 17, resolved it by going from the nouveau  drivers to Nvidia proprietary drivers. The VM's would hang the whole system, big red switch time. My personal, but not scientifically verified, opinion is that many hang problems are video driver related. 

That said, my main system (Debian 11.5) is still running 16.5, running a variety of guests, Windows and Linux. I hear more problems with Windows hosts (post updates) than Linux. But, that figures: most users are running Windows hosts. My Debian system runs all guests in fine shape (knock wood).

lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The point I want to get answered is,

buying fresh 17.x 

or

upgrading my current 15.x 

how many host can I have installed 

in other words, after trial is strictly FOR ONE ONLY HOST PC… THIS SOFTWARE 17.x…?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Personal use license allows for up to 3 computers.  Commercial license is for 1 computer.

I can't remember if that started at version 16 or 15, but I think it was 16... so, therefore your 15.x license is good for only 1 computer.

0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I want to upgrade [15.x to 17.x] if only is for 3-PCs, where can confirm is for only 1-PC or 3-PCs...???

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

i read quickly but not find if 15.x is the upgrade to 17.x for Only One PC… well…?

New Pricing for Workstation Pro, Fusion Pro

Workstation Pro has undergone some changes as well. Firstly, the upgrade and new license pricing are now  $99 for existing customers, or $199 for new customers. For individual customers, are also now licensing Workstation for use on up to 3 personal devices. And now, those devices can now also be a Mac by simply applying your Workstation Pro license key in Fusion Pro.

Workstation Player continues to be available as Free for Personal Use, and offers commercial licenses at $149 for new licenses and $79 for upgrades, while also now providing license portability with Fusion Player. These changes should make it easy for organizations to license many workstations without necessarily knowing if their users will choose Macs or PCs beforehand.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@lse123 wrote:

Hello,

i read quickly but not find if 15.x is the upgrade to 17.x for Only One PC… well…?

New Pricing for Workstation Pro, Fusion Pro

Workstation Pro has undergone some changes as well. Firstly, the upgrade and new license pricing are now  $99 for existing customers, or $199 for new customers. For individual customers, are also now licensing Workstation for use on up to 3 personal devices. And now, those devices can now also be a Mac by simply applying your Workstation Pro license key in Fusion Pro.

As you can read there in your copied text - versions 15/16 users pay upgrade price of 99, 14 and older or completely new customers pay full price 199.  The next sentence states up to 3 personal devices, even including Macs.

0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

A

So, if upgrade from 15.x to 17.x 

will be for 3 devices

either Windows or Mac

in my case, 2 Windows: 11+10 and 1 Mac… Monterey …

correct?

B

so, if buy upgrade is there a 30-day money back guarantee?
or otherwise, upgrade UNDER 30-day TRIAL, and after 30-days period proceed paying?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. Yes, that is my interpretation of the information.  If you want official clarification, contact VMware Sales.

2. I do not believe there is a money-back policy because there is a 30-day trial available.  Yes, you can purchase and apply the license key during/after the trial period.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will get one Workstation Pro 17 license for each Workstation Pro 15 license that you upgrade to version 17. I just did a license upgrade from Fusion 11 Pro to Fusion 13 Pro and only got 1 license.

The number of PCs that you can use with a Workstation Pro 17 license depends on if you are using the product for commercial use or non-commercial use as defined in VMware's Product Guide https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/product/vmware-product-guide.pdf . The product guide defines commercial use as:

Commercial Use” means any internal business use or any use by Customer in the functions of Customer’s employment.

The relevant parts on how you can use the licenses for Workstation Pro are contained in the following paragraphs in section 7.6 of the Product Guide:

VMware Fusion Pro. For each license of VMware Workstation Pro that Customer has purchased, Customer may use the Software on Windows or Linux operating systems or Customer may use VMware Fusion Pro on macOS operating systems. Customer’s use of VMware Fusion Pro is subject to Section 7.7.

Non-Commercial Use. Customer may install and use the Software for non-Commercial Use on up to three (3) computers for each license that Customer has purchased.

Commercial Use. Customer may install and use the Software on a number of computers equal to the number of licenses purchased. Installing and running a single license of the Software on multiple computers is prohibited even if the computers are not running the Software concurrently. Concurrent use of the Software by multiple users on a single computer is prohibited.

You asked:

So, if upgrade from 15.x to 17.x will be for 3 devices either Windows or Mac in my case, 2 Windows: 11+10 and 1 Mac… Monterey …correct?

The answer depends on how you are using the license. If it's considered commercial use (you're using it for your job), one license can only be used on one computer. That's either 1 PC running Workstation Pro or 1 Mac running Fusion Pro. To cover your 3 computers for commercial use, you'd need 3 licenses of Workstation Pro.

If you're using a Workstation Pro license strictly for your own purposes (not for work or for profit), you're using the product for non-commercial purposes. In which case you can use one converted license for all 3 of your computers. 

I don't use my upgraded Fusion Pro license for commercial purposes. I'm therefore able to use it on 3 computers: Two Macs and one PC.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So, finally if upgrade from 15.x to 17.x will be for 3 devices either Windows or Mac in my case, 2 Windows: 11+10 and 1 Mac… Monterey, and because I will choose Non-commercial usage, … and pay… for this upgrade how much…? I live in Cyprus Europe.

because, I have 15.x WS Pro, and I think 11.x Fusion Pro old/past licenses…what is the easier upgrade license in Windows WS pro or MacOS Monterey Fusion… for upgrade to the newest version noncommercial …? And get cross platform licenses x3.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Easiest to visit the store page yourself...  https://store-us.vmware.com/workstation_buy_dual

or https://store-us.vmware.com/fusion_buy_dual 

Re: Workstation vs. Fusion:  the price and licensing should be the same.  $99 USD for an upgrade license from v15 or v16; $199 USD for new license and/or upgrade from v14 or earlier.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@lse123 wrote:

So, finally if upgrade from 15.x to 17.x will be for 3 devices either Windows or Mac in my case, 2 Windows: 11+10 and 1 Mac… Monterey, and because I will choose Non-commercial usage, … and pay… for this upgrade how much…? I live in Cyprus Europe.

because, I have 15.x WS Pro, and I think 11.x Fusion Pro old/past licenses…what is the easier upgrade license in Windows WS pro or MacOS Monterey Fusion… for upgrade to the newest version noncommercial …? And get cross platform licenses x3.

Since you are using the product for non-commercial purposes, the upgrade of one Workstation Pro 15 license to Workstation Pro 17 will allow you to run your 2 PCs and 1 Mac. But note: The upgrade will not give you 3 license keys. It gives you one key corresponding to the license you upgraded. That key you get from the license upgrade can be used on each of your 3 machines. 

You'll have to check with VMware to find out what that upgrade will cost in Cyprus. The upgrade license pricing for both Fusion Pro and Workstation Pro is $99 USD.

As to which to upgrade, that's your choice. The upgrade is the same price and the upgraded license can be used on either a PC or a Mac in both cases. I think I'd personally upgrade one WS Pro license as you have more PCs than you do Macs.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Upgrade process from 15.x to 17.x OR from 11.x to 13.x, will ask to pay, as well as insert my old software key? Eg Fusion 11 Pro key

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As long as you purchased your license through VMware, then it will be connected with your customer account.  When you go to purchase the upgrade, the system will see that you have a valid license for the older version of the software, and give you the upgrade pricing instead of the new purchase pricing.

lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I had license Fusion Pro 8, upgraded license to Fusion 11 Pro

well, how to upgrade to Fusion 13 Pro…?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Seriously, how difficult is it to send an email to the Sales group?  All of us here on the forums are users like yourself... so we don't know details about the actual product sales/returns/upgrades any further than what has already been posted on here.  I've linked to blog articles as well as the product purchase pages...  Either try what we've already suggested to you, or if you still have unanswered questions, contact VMware Sales - they will be able to help you!

0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I actually, have contacted VMware Sales 4-5 times for this but NEVER got a single or so, reply... well?

0 Kudos
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos