VMware Communities
CraigD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a license key for VMware Workstaton 17, but when I enter it nothing changes... still in eval

I have a license key for VMware Workstation 17, but when I enter it nothing changes... My software is still in evaluation mode.  The software appears to accept the license -- I don't receive any error messages.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Windows or Linux host?  Have you restarted the Workstation UI after entering the license?  If Windows, did you run Workstation as Admin during the instance when you tried to enter the license?

0 Kudos
CraigD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  this is a Windows 11 host.  

My sequence:

1. Launched the program normally (but with a domain admin account), entered license key.  Received UAC prompt, responded Yes.
  2. Closed and re-opened program.  Tried re-entering key.
  3. Closed program and ran "As Administrator" and tried re-entering key.
  4. Closed and re-entered program.

Right now the program reports that it is in its evaluation period.

0 Kudos
CraigD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's my current hypothesis:

1. (this is a fact) We have our Workstation license because we have a Horizon license bundle that includes them.  We have not purchased Workstation outright.
  2. Because #1, we should lose the right to use Workstation if we do not renew our Horizon license.  Therefore our Workstation license is different than a Workstation license purchased outright (which is perpetual and would not expire).  Our license has an end date (i.e. is not perpetual).
  3. Since our license is not perpetual (i.e. it has an end date) it behaves more like an evaluation license (which also has an end date).
  4. Because #3, our license is reported in the program as an evaluation license, but the date matches up with the end of our Horizon agreement (which it does).

I think all is good, actually... it just looks weird because our license is reported as an "evaluation" license.  The date is correct, however, and ultimately this is the most important thing.

R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm experiencing the same thing.  Thanks for your theory, it makes me feel a little better about it.

0 Kudos