VMware Communities
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

I have 5 VMs, one of them is incredibly slow at times

Hi all,

I have 5 VMs split across 3 different hard drives, one of them (the latest one, but a copy of another) is incredibly slow at times, particularly when actually transferring files to it, or even for example saving a file from the internet and onto the desktop.

Another thing I really notice, is how whenever I shut it down or suspend it, my main PC (the host, I believe is the correct term) will also run incredibly slowly, which is something I don't really ever experience otherwise since it has a good processor and lots of RAM.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be very welcome, thanks! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

blizeH wrote:

Hi all,

I have 5 VMs split across 3 different hard drives, one of them (the latest one, but a copy of another) is incredibly slow at times, particularly when actually transferring files to it, or even for example saving a file from the internet and onto the desktop.

Another thing I really notice, is how whenever I shut it down or suspend it, my main PC (the host, I believe is the correct term) will also run incredibly slowly, which is something I don't really ever experience otherwise since it has a good processor and lots of RAM.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be very welcome, thanks! Smiley Happy

Hi three hard disk make and RMP speed are same ?

Yours,

Satya

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

It is really hard to provide any suggestions without additional information.

1) What version of VMware Workstation?

2) What are the exact OS of the virtual machines?

3) What is the exact OS of the host machine running VMware Workstation?

4) How much memory is allocated to each VM?

5) What is the total amount of memory in the host machine?

6) Does this VM or any other VM have a snapshot?

7) Post the vmx file and vmware.log file from this VM.

😎 What type of CPU does the host have?

0 Kudos
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks, I'll try and give as much info as I can!

0) Yup, they're all 7200rpm. Worth mentioning I've moved the troublesome VM around drives and it's always the same.

1) What version of VMware Workstation? VMWare 7

2) What are the exact OS of the virtual machines? Windows XP with SP2

3) What is the exact OS of the host machine running VMware Workstation? Windows 7 with SP1

4) How much memory is allocated to each VM? 800mb, but 1GB didn't improve matters

5) What is the total amount of memory in the host machine? 8GB

6) Does this VM or any other VM have a snapshot? Hm, I'm not sure, sorry - how can I check?

7) Post the vmx file and vmware.log file from this VM. vm.vmx & vmware.log

😎 What type of CPU does the host have? Intel i7  2.8Ghz

Many thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Quick bump, does anything look out of place? Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

please read my notes about performance tuning:
http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?action=show&cat=78

avoid snapshots and shrink your VMs regularly if you use the growing disk format

blizeH
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks, I shall try shrinking my VMs, or maybe even try setting the size to static if that is possible?

And thanks for the link, your site has lots of useful information, in part the memory fine tuning section could be very useful Smiley Happy

0 Kudos