VMware Communities
VMware3332
Contributor
Contributor

I can't start any virtual machine after updating to 17.5.0

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (mks)
ISBRendererComm: Lost connection to mksSandbox (3458)
A log file is available in "/home/parrot/vmware/Windows 10 x64 (2)/vmware.log".
You can request support.

serial0: Parameter "serial0.fileType" has an invalid value "thinprint"

I think about that would happen to me but I decided to update with so bad consequences...

I shared the logfile of one virtual machine but all of them looks the same, it might be missing any config file or anything.

Please help me, I have lot of work in that virtual machines.

Thanks-

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From other posts about the removal of ThinPrint support, you might need to edit the COM port in the VM hardware and find an alternate printing solution for the VM OS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
ecrcook
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting exactly the same error (after Fusion upgrade to 13.5.0).

Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 8.37.34 AM.png

Please advise; thank you in advance.

joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Folks can ignore this warning/error: 

For unencrypted VMs, you can edit-update vmx file and remove below entries related to serial0 from vmx file, follow

this https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2057902

serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
serial0.fileName = "thinprint"
serial0.present = "TRUE"

Original reported issue here is something to do with mks crash as per the log. I have updated

relevant team to check once.

Thanks,

Gaurav

SajeshR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @VMware3332  

As per your ask, this is a warning. you can ignore that warning as per KB updated in last reply and proceed for power On the VM. 

If you still facing issues with Power ON the VM, please record a video and attach it. So that we can investigate further. 

Thanks,

banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>2023-10-20T21:30:25.569Z Wa(03) mks mksSandboxLog: PANIC: XINFO: IO fatal error.

That suggests that we lost our connection to your X11 server after our graphics stack initially connected to it successfully.

Can you post the corresponding mksSandbox.log from that crash?

You might be able to turn off 3D graphics on the VM as a work-around.

Bascisco
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed on a VM windows 10 machine after upgrading to 17.5 I get exact this same warning.

For the moment I ignore this. I trust this will be fixed in a next release and the vmx file modification is just a work-around.

Bascisco
Contributor
Contributor

For now not seen this on my  Ubuntu 22.04 VM's under the same Workstation Pro 17.5

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

Workstation 17.5 says, "serial.fileType" has an invalid value "thinprint".

The solution is visible when you go into VM->Settings->Printer, where you will see the message, "The virtual printer support has been discontinued.  Please remove the device."  Just remove the device, and go with a more traditional means of printing.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"... Just remove the device, and go with a more traditional means of printing."

But as I understand it, if you have 'full' VM encryption and a TPM, then you can't edit the .vmx file without decrypting the VM. And to do that you would need to throw away the TPM information.

Is that correct?

I'm currently using the TPM, and the full VM was encrypted in order to have the TPM in the first place.

It would likely be a major pain to decrypt 500 GB, and try to rework whatever is dependent on the current TPM values to get everything working again, and then re-encrypt the same 500 GB.

Or can you just remove the 'printer' from the hardware list?

joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For Warning, serial0: Parameter "serial0.fileType" has an invalid value "thinprint"

From Workstation 17.5 UI, you just simply remove the 'printer' from the hardware list (VM->Settings->Printer)

It doesn't matter if its encrypted or unencrypted VMs. 

bagebby
Contributor
Contributor

If we can "ignore this," why don't you just FIX IT?!

Tags (1)
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@bagebby wrote:

If we can "ignore this," why don't you just FIX IT?!

Because that means they need to release a minor revision to three different commercial products, which takes time and resources.  I'm sure they WILL "Fix it" - but they can't release a new version without going through all of their processes to do so!

0 Kudos
camner
Contributor
Contributor

My VM is now encrypted because it had to be encrypted into order to run Windows 11.  Is there a way to remove support for ThinPrint if the VM is encrypted?

0 Kudos
tchung1970
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure if anyone already answered your question with command line fix.

I'm a Linux/UNIX guy. So I used "gnu sed" on macOS to fix the issue as following:

1) Install gnu sed (gsed)

% brew install gsed

2) Replace a value with gsed

% cd ~/Virtual\ Machines.localized

% grep ^serial0.present vmf-rhel7vm.vmwarevm/vmf-rhel7vm.vmx

serial0.present = "TRUE"

% gsed -i '/^serial0.present/ s/TRUE/FALSE/' vmf-rhel7vm.vmwarevm/vmf-rhel7vm.vmx

% grep ^serial0.present vmf-rhel7vm.vmwarevm/vmf-rhel7vm.vmx

serial0.present = "FALSE"

That's it. This should get rid of the message when you launch the VM.

0 Kudos
OliChri
Contributor
Contributor

This works for me in VMware Fusion 

Player-Version 13.5.0 (22583790)

0 Kudos
kbulgrien
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's a shame this is lost in the irrelevant "thinprint" noise.  After a recent experience with other apparent VM booting / startup issues, I'd tend to guess that the suggestion to disable the 3D Graphics setting is a very worthwhile suggestion.

0 Kudos
Herb66
Contributor
Contributor

This edit worked perfectly to get rid of the warning and I had no issues with the VM after.

0 Kudos
provingGround
Contributor
Contributor

@joshiga wrote:

Folks can ignore this warning/error: 

For unencrypted VMs, you can edit-update vmx file and remove below entries related to serial0 from vmx file, follow

this https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2057902

serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
serial0.fileName = "thinprint"
serial0.present = "TRUE"

Original reported issue here is something to do with mks crash as per the log. I have updated

relevant team to check once.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Eliminates the error appearing in Fusion Player 13.5 VM's. Much appreciated

0 Kudos