VMware Communities
Davsr66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't ping server to client in vm network.

Hi, I am new so be kind Smiley Happy

I have a power edge set up with VMworkstation, I have 3 server 2003's (a file, a dns, and a dhcp) and a server 2008(with i want to be PDC w/ AD), also i have 1 XP and 1 win7. the servers can ping each other but I can not ping the clients? I have turned off the firewalls on both XP and win7. Before I start getting roles installed I wanted to simply ping to make sure they all communicate. I used a made up ip of 10.10.10.11 for 2003 (10.10.10.9 for dns) ect. Just wondering why I cannot ping the clients. reading other post they state firewall. I am sure I have disabled them. Note: this is not on a network or internet at this time.

Grrrr, ok I restarted the host and now all the vmpc show an X on the network connections, Help please thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Take a look at the example I posted at Re: Need help with virtual Dev enviroment network that requires a domain controller.

André

PS: Other than in the example, NAT is vmnet8 by default.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Some details about your network configuration would help. What type of network do you use (Bridged, NAT, Host-Only, LAN-Segment)? In case of NAT or Host-Only, did you configure the network properly in the Virtual Network Editor and assign the proper network to all the VMs?

André

PS: Discussion moved from VI: VMware ESXi™ 3.5 to VMware Workstation

Davsr66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found that using the custom vmnet0 (auto bridging) worked. I am trying to get more hands-on with AD and DC's I had it on Bridged on friday and I could ping server to server, but not the clients (Xp and win7) 

0 Kudos
Davsr66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case of NAT or Host-Only, did you configure the network properly in the Virtual Network Editor and assign the proper network to all the VMs?

André

Thank you for moving the thread Andre, it appears i did not. Thanks Andre!!!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Take a look at the example I posted at Re: Need help with virtual Dev enviroment network that requires a domain controller.

André

PS: Other than in the example, NAT is vmnet8 by default.

0 Kudos
Davsr66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is great Andre, Thank you.

0 Kudos