VMware Communities
SommyJo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am unable to use VNC

In three VMs I activated VNC with ports 5901, 5902, 5903 in the settings.

From the PC I launch UltraVNC Viewer, but I can't connect to any of the three VMs. I always get the "Failed to connect to server" error.

Instead, if in a VM I install UltraVNC server, even without settings, from the PC I can connect without problems.

I am using Workstation 15.5.2 build-15785246.

VMs are in bridge

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There's something we should check first: When using Workstation's built-in VNC server, you need to connect to the specified port on the host, using the host's IP address, not any guest address.  Are you doing that?

When you are successfully connecting to the VNC server inside the guest, you will be connecting to the guest's IP address, but that same approach will not work for the VNC server built in to Workstation.

Thanks,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There's something we should check first: When using Workstation's built-in VNC server, you need to connect to the specified port on the host, using the host's IP address, not any guest address.  Are you doing that?

When you are successfully connecting to the VNC server inside the guest, you will be connecting to the guest's IP address, but that same approach will not work for the VNC server built in to Workstation.

Thanks,

--

Darius

SommyJo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>> you need to connect to the specified port on the host, using the host's IP address, not any guest address
ARGHHHH

:smileyconfused: :smileycry: :smileyconfused:

You're right and I'm really stupid!

Thanks so much

0 Kudos