VMware Communities
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not able to access the virtual machine from host

If you use bridged networking, the virtual machine is a full participant in the network. It has access to other machines on the network and can be contacted by other machines on the network as if it were a physical computer on the network.

As per the above explanation from (http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net_configurations_bridged.html) i has my VM Ethernet setting to bridged now i am able to access the shared folders of other machines from the virtual machine but am not able to access the shared folder of the virtual machine . I don't have the virtual machine on n/w but as per above paragraph i should be able to access the virtual machine from other machine. Is there something i am forgetting or is this not possible if i don't have the VM on network.

I really appreciate your opinions......

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Host side of things means opening an Explorer window on your host and trying to connect to a shared resource on the guest.

Yes, a VM using bridged mode networking is seen BY NETWORKING as a separate PC on your network. As I said above, the VMware Shared Folders feature does NOT use networking... it uses a backdoor port via the VMware Tools and the hgfs driver in the guest.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What VMware product (and version) are you using, so we can move this to the appropriate forum (and possibly answer the question)?

0 Kudos
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWARE Product: VMware WS 6.0

Guset OS: Windows XP SP2

Let me know if you need any other info

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If troubleshooting a network issue, please include the additional information.

1) Post the output from " ipconfig /all " (Windows) or " ifconfig -a " (Linux)

from both the host and guest OS

2) Post the .vmx file from the virtual machine.

3) Details of how your host is connected to the local network / Internet (Cable Modem, DSL, Router, Switch, Wired, Wireless...etc)

I don't have the virtual machine on n/w but as per above paragraph i should be able to access the virtual machine from other machine.

I don't understand this statement, you need to have the virtual machine guest OS on the network if you want it to be accessed by other PC's on the local network.

0 Kudos
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Below is the additional info. I have one more really dumb question.

Why is it showing three different IP configuration on host system?

1) Post the output from " ipconfig /all " (Windows) or " ifconfig -a " (Linux)

from both the host and guest OS

C:\Documents and Settings\ahupg>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.188.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.79.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : PTCNET.PTC.COM

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 132.253.10.185

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 132.253.11.254

C:\Documents and Settings\ahupg>

Guest OS:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : PTCNET.PTC.COM

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 132.253.9.251

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 132.253.11.254

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

2) Post the .vmx file from the virtual machine.

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "2048"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows XP Professional-000008.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "E:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.fileName = "D:\User Profiles\sdertien.PTCNET\Desktop\vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp"

Ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

Ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

sound.present = "FALSE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

displayName = "PTC GSO SKF WC626 Clone"

guestOS = "winxppro"

priority.grabbed = "normal"

priority.ungrabbed = "normal"

uuid.location = "56 4d 57 f4 cc 15 2a 81-bf e8 06 70 b1 9e a8 43"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 57 f4 cc 15 2a 81-bf e8 06 70 b1 9e a8 43"

floppy0.fileType = "file"

sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

Ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:9e:a8:43"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:1.fileName = "ptc-000008.vmdk"

ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

scsi0:0.deviceType = "disk"

scsi0:1.deviceType = "disk"

usb.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

scsi0:1.redo = ""

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

sharedFolder.maxNum = "2"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

redoLogDir = "."

sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.hostPath = "H:\SKF\ptc\"

sharedFolder0.guestName = "PTC"

sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

nvram = "Windows XP Professional.nvram"

workingDir = ""

sharedFolder1.present = "TRUE"

sharedFolder1.enabled = "TRUE"

sharedFolder1.readAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder1.writeAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder1.hostPath = "H:\Sending Data to PTC\SKF System Data Package\System 1 Windchill Foundation\"

sharedFolder1.guestName = "Package"

sharedFolder1.expiration = "never"

annotation = "Username = Administrator|0D|0APassword = vmware|0D|0A|0D|0AYou must mount a Hard Disk SCSI 0:1 for the D Drive configuration to work properly. This is a plug-n-play Windchill VMWare configuration."

fileSearchPath = ".;H:\SKF\VMware\WC626\PTC_R8_Base"

scsi0:2.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:2.fileName = "Windows XP Professional E-000008.vmdk"

scsi0:2.redo = ""

usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "FALSE"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "TRUE"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

3) Details of how your host is connected to the local network / Internet (Cable Modem, DSL, Router, Switch, Wired, Wireless...etc)

Wired

4)> I don't have the virtual machine on n/w but as per above paragraph i should be able to access the virtual machine from other machine.

I don't understand this statement, you need to have the virtual machine guest OS on the network if you want it to be accessed by other PC's on the local network.

What i mean is that if i have the ethernet settings to bridged i don't need to have the VM guest OS on N/W for other machines to access it as it uses it's host IP and it's mentioned that the guest operating system will automatically get the IP and N/W info from the DHCP server.

THe link i provided above states that. I was able to access other machines on network from the VM machine after changing the settings to bridged but not able to access the VM machine content from other machines as explained in the link above.

0 Kudos
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can anyone help me by answering my question on why is it not acting the way it should as mentioned in the Technical doc by making the ethernet settings as bridged or what other stuff that i need to do to make it reachable to other machines with out having the VirtualMachine on domain.

I really appreciate your response.........

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please describe what is NOT working. It appears your vmx file settings, and network settings are all correct. The guest has an apparently valid IP Address. If you are still having issues getting network connections to/from the guest, check if you have a firewall in either the host, the guest, or both, which needs to be reconfigured (you can disable it temporarily to test).

remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

**Please describe what is NOT working.**

I am enable to access the shared folders of virtualMachine from other machine that's in the same domain as of VirtualMAchines host Domain.

I turned off the windows firewalls as mentioned by Petruska and tried to access it's shared folders . It ask's me for Password and blank's out the username option where it took vmware/Guest as default and is not giving an option to change it well then i turned on my guest account and tried then it says the user doesn't have enough privileges.

I am not sure why it's not giving me the option to connect to it using the administrative account.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated......

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

OK, so you are trying to use the VMware Shared Folders feature and having an issue there. Thanks, it's a bit clearer now. From your other posts, it appeared you had an issue with not being able to access something in your guest from other PCs on your network.

The Shared Folders feature does NOT use standard networking - it uses a backdoor via the VMware Tools + hgfs driver in the guest. It is (as far as I know) a one-way street. In other words, only your guest sees the shared folders which you have enabled on your host via the vmx settings. Your host still sees nothing on the guest. If you want to share from the host side of things, just use normal Windows file sharing... create a shared directory inside your guest, then map to it from the host.

KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Below is the additional info. I have one more really dumb question.

Why is it showing three different IP configuration on host system?

You have your physical network adapter plus the virtual network adapters (vmnet1 & vmnet8) installed in the host

vmnet is used when you configure the virtual machine to use "Host-Only" networking and vmnet8 is used when you configure the virtual machine to use NAT networking

0 Kudos
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

\

• If you want to share from the host side of things, just use normal Windows file sharing... create a shared directory inside your guest, then map to it from the host.***

Host side of things does that mean the thing's shared on host system?

If it's one way street then what does this mean exactly:

If you use bridged networking, the virtual machine is a full participant in the network. It has access to other machines on the network and can be contacted by other machines on the network as if it were a physical computer on the network. (http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net_configurations_bridged.html)

Well the previous responses are really helpful and getting my mind to a conclusion but as i am new to VM stuff just want to make my mind more clear.......

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Host side of things means opening an Explorer window on your host and trying to connect to a shared resource on the guest.

Yes, a VM using bridged mode networking is seen BY NETWORKING as a separate PC on your network. As I said above, the VMware Shared Folders feature does NOT use networking... it uses a backdoor port via the VMware Tools and the hgfs driver in the guest.

0 Kudos
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm...well then accessing the shared folders won't solve my original issue well but the information was really help full.

I would like to explain my issue in detail to see if you guy's have a possible solution.

We are having some n/w issues like when you take a snapshot the system is falling out of our domain and we need to add it to the n/w to get access to it.

It's noticed when you have a snapshot that's on n/w and you revert back to the one which is not and come back to the previous snapshot which is in Network but guess what even this snapshot will fall out of n/w but this is not the case when you move b/w two snap shots which are in n/w.

Well we are possibly thinking of two solutions here

1) To have the root on N/W but that's possible only for new machines

2) To just take snap shots of a particular drive and have the other drive on n/w .

but these solutions can only be possible if we are starting up again . Is there a way or is there anysetting that i should takecare to get pass this issue.

One more thing for the first solution i specified if i have my root fall of n/w by any chance then in future accidentally if i revert back then all my other snapshots will fall off the n/w.

So is there something i can do?

0 Kudos
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did some one have similar issue

0 Kudos