VMware Communities
deebunch
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting an error after upgrade workstation 15.1.0 build-13591040

Could not get vmci driver version: The handle is invalid.

You have an incorrect version of driver 'vmci.sys'. Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Module 'DevicePowerOn' power on failed.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mats_Webjörn
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same problem. Just upgraded to 15.1.0 on my Windows 10 Pro 1809. I've completely uninstalled previous version, rebooted, disabled anti-virus and installed 15.1.0 as administrator. No problem is indicated during the installation process.

But when I try to boot one of the clients I get

"Could not get vmci driver version: Referensen (handle) är felaktig."

You have an incorrect version of driver 'vmci.sys'. Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Module 'DevicePowerOn' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine."

When I check C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\vmci\device\Win8\vmci.sys it has Productversion = 9.8.7.0 build-13442716.

But when I open C:\Windows\System32\vmci.sys it has Productversion = 9.8.6.0 build-3966680.

The odd thing is that when I uninstall Workstation C:\Windows\System32\vmci.sys is not removed, nor are the registry entries which refer to it, such as

- \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles\%SystemRoot%/System32/drivers/vmci.sys

- \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles\%SystemRoot%/System32/drivers/vmci.sys

- \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\vmci

(And there's also a bunch of other vmWare entries in PnpLockLockdownFles which uninstaller hasn't removed)

And the new version of vmci.sys won't even install if I manually remove C:\Windows\System32\vmci.sys before installing workstation.

But the worst of all is that now I can't go back to some previous version of workstation. I've tried all the way back to 15.0.2 and now I get the same error. Versions that ran fine until as late as this morning now fails to run my clients. So thank you vmWare for destroying my development environment !!!!! How shall I ever trust an update from you again?

The problem seems to be that vmci.sys which is version 9.8.6.0 in Workstation 15.0.4 has changed to 9.8.7.0 in Workstation 15.1.0, but the installer doesn't take care of this.

Could vmWare be so kind and quickly come up with either a new installer or at least instructions how to fix this?

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Would you please try following steps to have a try ?

1)  Uninstall any VMware Workstation version installed on the host

2)  Delete "C:\Windows\System32\vmci.sys" and "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vmci*" if have

3)  Open cmd terminal and run "sc stop vmci & sc delete vmci"

4)  Reboot the host and re-install VMware Workstation

0 Kudos
Mats_Webjörn
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so I've

- Uninstalled Workstation on my host

- Deleted "C:\Windows\System32\vmci.sys"

- "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vmci*" was not possible to delete since it didn't exist

- Run "sc stop vmci & sc delete vmci" resulted in

[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

Service not installed.

[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

Service not installed.

- Reboot the host and re-install VMware Workstation 15.1.0

But I still get the same error, and no vmci.sys is installed in C:\Windows\System32 nor C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vmci

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Most users do not really need vmci - so as an ugly workaround you can disable vmci for each VM by disabling vmci in the vmx-file.

0 Kudos
Mats_Webjörn
Contributor
Contributor

Since this is used for my mission critical environment I prefer to stay out of "ugly workarounds". I anticipate that vmWare updates don't crash my environment, and if it does, they quickly take responsibility and presents a clean workaround.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Compared with the Workstation installer disabling vmci is a very clean solution and it will enable you to power on the VM in 5 minutes.

Dont hold your breath though waiting for a fixed installer.

0 Kudos
Mats_Webjörn
Contributor
Contributor

What is vmci.sys useful for? Is it possible to install the correct vmci.sys by running the inf-file located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\vmci\device\Win8 ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

VMCI stands for VM to VM communication interface.

It is deprecated since Workstation 8 and ESXi 5.

In the last 10 years I have not seen a single discussion about any useful scenario that requires this feature.
IMHO vmci.sys is just bloatware.
I dont know why it is still part of the installation in latest Workstations.

Nobody that followed my advice to simply deactivate it per VM ever reported missing functionality.

> Is it possible to install the correct vmci.sys by running the inf-file located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\vmci\device\Win8 ?

I do not know but I really do not expect that to work.

IMHO the install routine for vmci.sys is buggy since Workstation 8 and the problems apparently get worse with every new version.

Anyway feel free to waste several more hours on this minor issue.

The easy workaround is:

vmci0.present = "false"

Mats_Webjörn
Contributor
Contributor

Your solution works. Thanks!

But if VMCI is a deprecated interface since Workstation 8, then why on earth has a VM created in Workstation 15 this setting enabled?

Can someone from vmWare be so kind and explain? Because this is causing vmWare customers who run into this issue a lot of costs figuring out what workaround to apply.

VMW789
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your detailed answer/workaround , finally after so many attempts i was able to power on my VMs, by setting the flag as false.

vmci0.present = "FALSE"

0 Kudos