VMware Communities
xhakxh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am curious about the VMware Workstation Pro encryption algorithm. aes256?

I am curious about the encryption algorithm of VMware WorkStation Pro.
Is VMware WorkStation Pro's built-in encryption secure?
Originally, the guest was going to use Bitlocker, but after using it, the disk occupancy reached 100% and it freezes.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@xhakxh wrote: I am curious about the encryption algorithm of VMware WorkStation Pro.

What is the Encryption Algorithm in VMware?

@xhakxh wrote: Is VMware WorkStation Pro's built-in encryption secure?

Well, that's a pretty open question . . . but, suspect that it may well be no worse than any other providers implementation.  One thing that you will need to consider, is regards to some of the limitations for the management of the VM once encrypted, i.e. restrictions in the ability to edit the .vmx file.

@xhakxh wrote: Originally, the guest was going to use Bitlocker, but after using it, the disk occupancy reached 100% and it freezes.

Is this related to a VM resource allocation issue or do you believe that its related to something else ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@xhakxh wrote: I am curious about the encryption algorithm of VMware WorkStation Pro.

What is the Encryption Algorithm in VMware?

@xhakxh wrote: Is VMware WorkStation Pro's built-in encryption secure?

Well, that's a pretty open question . . . but, suspect that it may well be no worse than any other providers implementation.  One thing that you will need to consider, is regards to some of the limitations for the management of the VM once encrypted, i.e. restrictions in the ability to edit the .vmx file.

@xhakxh wrote: Originally, the guest was going to use Bitlocker, but after using it, the disk occupancy reached 100% and it freezes.

Is this related to a VM resource allocation issue or do you believe that its related to something else ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Have a look here for someone who figured it out:

https://github.com/RF3/VMwareVMX

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
xhakxh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Isn't this about VMware Workstation Pro 7?
I checked all the vmware Workstation Pro 16 release notes, but nothing about the encryption algorithm.
Is there no published information?

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@xhakxh wrote: Isn't this about VMware Workstation Pro 7?

Indeed . . . but its the VM which gets encrypted, not the operating system it contains per say.

@xhakxh wrote: Is there no published information?

Unfortunately, I to was unable to locate any relevant up-to-date detailed documentation regards this.  But, you have to bear in mind that its a 'rather specific feature', originally I suspect, aimed at a core group of particular customers, and therefore may not have justified any further attention.

0 Kudos