VMware Communities
ng4ever
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am confused how do I upgrade VMWare 12.5 to VMWare 14 ?

I went here Upgrade to Workstation 14 Pro but it says Upgrade from Workstation 11.x or Player 7 Pro or greater.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The clue is in the "or greater" bit of the text, 12.5 > 11

I concur that they could have worded that a bit clearer.

May I suggest to use the "try before you buy" option? You have 30 days to try the full version and can change it into a full version any time before or after that time.

https://www.vmware.com/go/tryworkstation-win

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The clue is in the "or greater" bit of the text, 12.5 > 11

I concur that they could have worded that a bit clearer.

May I suggest to use the "try before you buy" option? You have 30 days to try the full version and can change it into a full version any time before or after that time.

https://www.vmware.com/go/tryworkstation-win

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
ng4ever
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ng4ever
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One last question am I eligible for a free upgrade to VMware 14 or no ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Only if you bought Workstation 12.5 in the last month or so (forgot the exact time frame, but if you haven't bought it in the past few weeks then it is a paid for upgrade)

As VMware dropped support on some earlier 64 bits processors (see What is VMX Unrestricted Guest? )  I urge you to test before you buy.

--

Wil

valerio_vanni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it still possible to buy 12?

I have 10 now, and some month ago I planned to upgrade to 12.

I tested it and after some adjustment, it seemed to be ok.

Now I see that 14 is out, but I have not tested it yet.

Another question: I cannot buy 14 as an upgrade, I see that the minimum upgradable version is 11.

Here I read:

Announcing VMware Workstation 14 - VMware Workstation Zealot - VMware Blogs

Customers who purchased VMware Workstation 12.5 Pro or VMware Workstation 12.5 Player between Aug 22 and November 1st, 2017 will receive a free electronic upgrade to VMware Workstation 14 Pro and VMware Workstation 14 Player respectively. No action is required for this free upgrade. 

It seems that 12 is buyable until Nov 1, but I don't find it on vmware store.

0 Kudos
valerio_vanni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just tested 14: it does not work with my CPU.

VMware Workstation Pro 14 - Fails To Start Due To CPU Non-Support

So I need 12, a doubt went away.

I read that it's possible to downgrade so I could buy 14 and use 12.

The bad thing, now, is that I have to buy a complete 14, and up to some day ago I might have just bought a 10->12 upgrade and get the 14 for free.

I fear the quote from Announcing VMware Workstation 14 - VMware Workstation Zealot - VMware Blogs  does not say the truth.

How about codes? Should I request a new code or I can use directy a 14 code on a 12 installation?

0 Kudos