VMware Communities
btmi
Contributor
Contributor

I am about to give up (cannot install)

I have been trying to install VMware Workstation fo rthe last couple of weeks and no matter what I do I aleays get to the following point before the rollback starts:

VMInst: 07/10/08 21:45:18 Cleaning out legacy networking

VMInst: 07/10/08 21:45:18 Returning InstallPath=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\

VMInst: 07/10/08 21:45:18 Loaded library C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vnetlib.dll(14483456)

VMInst: 07/10/08 21:45:18 Cannot query key value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\Wnd: 2

inst : 07/10/08 21:45:18 I1:VNL_UninstallLegacyNetwork: disabling logging while performing cleanup

BootStrapper: 07/10/08 21:46:36 MsiInstallProduct returned 1603

BootStrapper: 07/10/08 21:46:36 Setup exit code is 1603

I found other posts with similar problems that mention errors with permissions in the registry but all of the suggestions already posted do not work.

What I have been trying to avoid is a complete new install of Windows but I think this may be my only hope unless a guru here can help me.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

What version is your host OS?

Did you try to login to Windows using local administrator account.

Post/attach ALL VMware installation logs (search globally all files with particular timestamp).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

As local admin set permissions for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.

so that SYSTEM and Administrators have full access. If key is not present - create it

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
btmi
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached the complete logs. The install is on a XP (SP3) machine with full admin rights (although I am just about to reboot and try the install using the admin login).

The key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.was already there, but I made sure that my login as full access rights to the registry.

I had similar problems the other week installing SP3 but that was solved with some registry tampering. I get the feeling that the problem lies in the registry somehow, but I cannot think what.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Perform installation using local administrator account.

0 Kudos
btmi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions be still no joy as yet.

Just tried to install as local administrator and had identical results. The problem appears to be with the VNLInstallNetworkBridgeW2K installation and I think this may be the problem. Having installed a number of different VPNs on this machine like Citrix and Contivity (before Virtual Mauhines were a possibility) I think that they have somehow damaged my network settings. What I would like to do is to somehow do a clean reinstall of the network drivers and settings which I do not think is possible without a clean install of the OS.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Are you, by chance, using a motherboard with the NVidia nForce chipset on it? If so, make sure you have installed the NVidia software so that you can disable the hardware firewall in their NICs.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Uninstall those "other" applications first. Before you decide on host OS reinstall.

0 Kudos
btmi
Contributor
Contributor

No the motherboard (a Gigabyte 8KNXP) has only basic graphics, and I have an ATI display card.

Keep the suggestions coming....I am going to get some sleep now but I will resume my quest in the morning - this is one community I want to be a part of!!

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Are you, by chance, using a motherboard with the NVidia nForce chipset on it? If so, make sure you have installed the NVidia software so that you can disable the hardware firewall in their NICs.

That would just interfere with VMware Workstation guests network connectivity, not with installation process.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

That would just interfere with VMware Workstation guests network connectivity, not with installation process.

Not true. Historically, the NVidia NIC firewall has caused LOTS of issues during installation of the VMware network adapter drivers and services, and would either fail the installation or reboot the computer during the installation.

0 Kudos
btmi
Contributor
Contributor

I have gone through the uninstall procedures for both but there are still aspects of the programs that cannot be removed (and this is the core of my problems).

0 Kudos
btmi
Contributor
Contributor

Going back on what you suggested, I went back to my network config to see if I could actually eradicate the leftovers of some of my VPN installations.

It it turned out that a drvier EACFILT.SYS which was installed by a Nortel Contivity client was causing the problems, and while I have not been able to eradicate this completely, I have managed to stop it from running which allowed theVMWare installation to comeplete.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos