VMware Communities
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hyper-V gen 2 VMs won't boot in VMware Workstation

I appreciate this is a real edge case but I'm interested as to the reason. I have a small physical server set-up at home for development running Windows Server 2019. On this server is a Hyper-V Centos Linux VM for testing (a web server). I backup the entire server and virtual machines using the community edition of Veeam Backup & Replication to an external hard disk.

I was pondering what process I would go through to get that VM back up and running if the physical server failed. So I thought I'd spin up a Windows Server 2019 VM in VMware Workstation on my big PC, install Hyper-V & Veeam in there and then do a "Instant restore". I actually have two VMs - one powered up fine (so effectively got a restore of entire VM in 5 mins) but the other didn't boot.

It took me far too long to twig the difference between the two VMs was that the working one was a gen 1 Hyper-V VM but the other was a gen 2. I span up an old laptop with Windows Server 2019 and Hyper-V - it worked on there.

So it's something to do with Gen 2 Hyper-V VMs running on Hyper-V inside a VMware Workstation VM. Any ideas?

Ohh the other point is that my PC is AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and the original server & laptop are Intel. Could that make a difference?

0 Kudos
0 Replies