VMware Communities
Mouri_Naruto
Contributor
Contributor

Huge performance drop after upgrading to VMware Workstation Pro 16.2.2 with Hyper-V enabled

VMware Workstation Pro 16.2.2 has solved the crashes on startup in Windows 11 with Hyper-V enabled, but has a huge performance drop than in Windows 10 Version 21H1 with Hyper-V enabled even disable Side Channel Mitigations for Hyper-V enabled hosts.

• Host Environment: i7-11800H, RTX 3070 Laptop, 64GB Memory, Windows 11 (10.0.22000.438), VMware Workstation Pro 16.2.2
  • Guest Environment: 4 cores, 256MB Video Memory, 4GB Memory, Windows 10 (10.0.19044.1466), VMware Tools 11.3.5

Kenji Mouri

4 Replies
Mouri_Naruto
Contributor
Contributor

I have done some discovery and found I have met the similar issue like https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2063346, but my virtual disk uses stornvme driver.

The issue will disappear when I change my virtual disk from NVMe to SCSI.

Kenji Mouri

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you measuring performance?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Mouri_Naruto
Contributor
Contributor

@Mikero 

The way I measure performance is startup or shutdown the guest OS and open file explorer and task manager in the guest OS. (I feel I have stuck in every step I operate the guest OS.) It's extraordinarily slow and the 100% disk usage in the task manager even nothing to do. (In the host, vmware-vmx only uses 0% disk usage.)

The issue happened when matching these conditions:

• Host OS is Windows 11
  • Hyper-V is enabled
  • VMware Workstation Pro is 16.2.2
  • Guest OS is Windows 10 LTSC 2021
  • The virtual disk of the virtual machine uses NVMe

I tried to change the scsi controller in the virtual machine but nothing improved. When I change the virtual disk type from NVMe to SCSI, the issue won't appear. Here is the screenshot of Task Manager and Event Viewer in the Guest OS. (When the outlook notify me you have replied me, I start to startup the Guest OS and launch these. You will know the speed is really slow.)

Mouri_Naruto_0-1642615170912.png

Kenji Mouri

0 Kudos
Arendeth
Contributor
Contributor

I recommend finding the previous 16.1.2 it runs faster and does not have a broken snapshot feature like the versions after it.

0 Kudos