VMware Communities
rschwabe
Contributor
Contributor

Howto move VM Tabs into Icon Bar?

Hi,

in VMWare Workstation 7 it was possible to integrate "File, Edit,...", all the Icons and all the VM Tabs into one Bar. This way, the available window size for the guest system is maximized.

How can I do that in Workstation 8. I coulnt find the option so far. (see Attachment for more details).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

The tabs have always been on a separate row. If you're thinking of quick switch mode, that was removed in version 8.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't believe you could do that in Workstation 7.

In Workstation 7, there was a "Quick Switch" mode which turned the menu bar and toolbar into a "sliding" bar at top and the tabs were a (permanent) strip across the top of the screen, overwhich the "sliding" bar appeared.

But we never supported putting the menu bar, toolbar and tabs all on a single line.

Let us know if you have further details ...

rschwabe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
ahh, you are right, I just checked again in workstation 7. Its not possible to merge them. I must have got confused :smileyconfused:.
But anyway, in workstation 7, the hight of the icon and tab bar combined is a little smaller than in workstation 8 (see attachment). Is it possible to reduce the size of the icon and tab bar in workstation 8?
Is there an alternative for the quickswitch mode in workstation 8?
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

For Workstation 8 we combined Quick Switch mode and Full Screen mode into a single mode. We had too many modes, too many code paths and each mode was missing something the other one had.

The vision behind new Full Screen mode is that it should have parity (or as close as possible) with Normal Mode + Multiple Monitor support.

Parity meant adding a full menu system, same toolbar.

However, this still is a "work-in-progress" ... users have been vocal about some of the features they miss (e.g. Tabs in Quick Switch mode) and we *have* taken notice.

Thanks.

0 Kudos