VMware Communities
JDlugosz
Contributor
Contributor

How to use "hardware drives" without running all of Workstation as root?

I'm running Workstation 11 on a Linux host.

I did a "p2v" conversion of my Windows machine, copying the old C: drive to a vmdk,

and mounting two data HDDs directly in the VM.

My first attempt gave errors starting the VM about being unable to mount.  I ran Workstation as root, and it worked.  However, all the files it creates are owned by root which is a real pain, and all VMs are run as root.

Meanwhile, the GNOME (Cinnamon) System Tray Panel Applet icon that launches Workstation windows prevents multiple instances (under different accounts) from being started; once normal, a sudo vmware will have no effect and pop back to the running instance (or vice versa).  And there is no way to Quit the tray icon, unlike in Windows, other than finding it in the process list and killing it.

The documentation is missing something too: the configuration has a check box for "whole disks or partitions" and the tip advises looking it up in the manual for more information; however the suggested phrasing is not found in the documentation for Workstation 11, and locating the page concerning the dialog box in question I see that no mention is made of this setting in the description and it is missing from the illustration as well.  I think something slipped through the cracks here.

How do I properly make use of mounted disks and/or partitions w.r.t. the permissions problems?

Since each drive has one partition, which setting is better and what is the difference?

0 Kudos
0 Replies