VMware Communities
Foysal
Contributor
Contributor

How to use internet from vmware guest machine?

I have installed vmware workstation 6.x on Windows Vista Ultimate. My guest OS is RHEL 5. How to configure network to connect intenet from Linux (guest) machine. My vista machine is connected to internet via proxy.

Vista IP: 10.10.10.63 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 10.10.10.0 Preferred DNS: 10.10.10.0

Can anyone direct me???

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How did you setup your guestos network settings? did you set it to connect directly to the network or NAT? depending on your choice one will allow you to share the same IP as the host and the other will require you to configure RHEL on the network yourself

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

If your guest has a bridged network connection and you have a DHCP server:

The guest will receive its IP address, DNS and default gateway via DHCP (if the guest is set to DHCP also). You just need to configure the proxy in your browser or whatever software should access the Internet.

If your guest has bridged networking but you don't have DHCP:

You have to configure the IP setup in the guest manually. You need a free IP address and the rest can be taken from the host (DNS, default gateway). Configure the proxy in your browser or whatever software should access the Internet.

If your guest has NAT networking:

Set the guest to use DHCP so it will receive a correct IP setup from the VMware DHCP server. Configure the proxy in your browser or whatever software should access the Internet.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos