VMware Communities
wildrose
Contributor
Contributor

How to use VMware Workstation for Hardware Virtualization

Respected All,

As all of you must be aware of AMD Phenom Quad Core Processor. They have provided Hyper-V feature within the newly launched processor AMD Phenom 9500+ . As per the documentation they says that it will be possible to provide Hardware Virutalization using Third Party kernel.So I would like to know wether it is possible to do that using VMWare Workstation to install more than one OS. All OS should work independtly without the HOST OS funda. So that we could just restart any OS that we would like to for maintenance purpose.

Hope for the earliest reply.

Wild Rose

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fejf
Expert
Expert

Hi,

first we need to sort some things out: Hyper-V is the name of the virtualization technology Microsoft tries to finish in about 160days from now. I think what you mean is the hardware virtualization technology from AMD which is called AMD-Virtualization (AMD-V which is the equivalent of Intel's Vanterpool Technology - VT).

You can use VMware Workstation to virtualize machines and so have more "virtual PCs" running on the same hardware. You can manage, restart, maintenance, ... these virtual machines without restarting the host operating system.

> "All OS should work independtly without the HOST OS fund"

I don't know what you mean by that.

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

>All OS should work independtly without the HOST OS funda. So that we could just restart any OS that we would like to for maintenance purpose.

All guests (or virtualized systems) are independent from the host and other guests regarding OS type, communication, restarts etc. There's one exception, shuting down or resarting the host affects ALL guests (in case of VMware Workstation) Smiley Wink

You can run different guest OS types in parallel. See the latest supportet guest OS types for VMware Workstation here: http://pubs.vmware.com/ws6_ace2/ws/intro_sysreqs_ws.html#989686 (Supported Guest Operating Systems).

AWo

Message was edited by: AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos