VMware Communities
bibhranto
Contributor
Contributor

How to use VMs alternatively between two host PCs?

Hi Gurus,

Good Day.

I am using VMWare workstation at both office and home. In both place - WinXP is the host OS. I have created a VM running Linux as guest OS at office and wanted to work on it at home on weekends. I have my VM in an external HD. When I try to open it at my home it says about different processor speed and frame buffer size and the VM can't be started. In the message it says that it's an error which can be corrected, but I couldn't find any reference how to correct this error.

Based on that I have following questions -

1. How can I run a VM created in other machine in my machine?

2. What are issues/paramter setting we should do (if any) while creating a VM which can be copied and opened in other machine?

3. How can I solve the problem of processor speed and frame buffer size problem?

I am quite new in the realm of VMWare. Any kind help will be highly appriciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome the the VMware Communities forums. Your post has been moved to the VMware Workstation forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
redpay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

To fix the frame buffer size problem, open the settings ofthe VM and set the correct number of monitors that will be on the two systems. eg: if both machines (home and work) have 2 monitors, then specifically set it to two monitors. Also set the "MaximumResolution of any one monitor". The Autodetect mode will not be happy when opening the VM on the other machine.

You may need to shut the Guest OS down before moving to home and back to work.

0 Kudos
Mike_Street
Contributor
Contributor

With a snapshot in place that you wish to revert to, I have found that it may be necessary to first delete/move the snapshot files in order to modify the display settings. If the snapshot is then restored, it will start up without a problem

0 Kudos