VMware Communities
newvmguy12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to use Host Operating System

As per the best practices, how should the Host Operating System be utilized. Should applications be installed on the HOS or should it only be installed in GOS and HOS be left to service the VM application.

I would to create two virtualized partitions

1) HOS

2) GOS 1

3) GOS 2

So I would like to know whether any heavy application should be installed in HOS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Keeping all stuff on the guest has some advantages

- You can run it everywhere where you have a VMWare host. That gives you a lot of flexibility.

- You can create backups very easy, no need to setup the whole OS again and again and to install all applications again and again.

- You can easily freeze the state of the operational guest before you do any changes (see the point before).

- Depending on your environment you become some what independent from corporate policies.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi newvmguy12,

First of all welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I don't fully understand your question right now. From what I can understand, this is your question:

"What is the best practice configuration for VMware Workstation to run on a Windows OS. What partition configuration should be used to place the VM (Virtual Machine) files on?"

Is this correct? Because when you want to run VMware Workstation as a dedicated Hypervisor, you should try using VMware Server. It's free and special for those who want to run VM's dedicated without the Windows environment around it to save resources.

Hopefully this answers your question, otherwise I'll be hearing from you Smiley Happy

René

---

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

---

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
newvmguy12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Rene',

I have a single machine with Windows Server 2003. The requirement is to install two applications on that machine. How should I go about virtualization.

First Approach:

- Install application 1 on the parent Windows OS

- Create a virtualized partition thru VMWare and install application 2 on it

Second Approach:

- On Windows OS, create a virtualized partition thru VMWare and install application 1 on it

- Create another virtualized partition thru VMWare and install application 2 on it

- Leave alone the parent Windows OS (no application is installed except VMWare)

Thanks

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

IMHO it depends on what you want to use VMware Workstation for.

There are installations where the host only contains the standard applications of the company and the guest all other stuff which should not end up on the corporate system or where a different OS is needed (or preferred).

There are installations where the guest only contains development stuff.

There are installations where the host (with the personnaly preferred OS) contains all applications and the guest the corporate standard OS with some applications not available under the host OS.

etc., etc.

AWo

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi newvmguy12,

If both applications should run seperately I would only install VMware on the Host OS and run dedicated VM's for these applications.

Also, are you thinking about hosting these VM's on VMware Server or ESXi? I said that VMware Server didn't run on Windows but it does. I was confused with ESXi Smiley Wink

Installing one app on the Host OS and one on a Guest OS is a little bit confusing if you ever run into troubles or if someone else has to solve issues with your configuration.

René

---

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

---

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Keeping all stuff on the guest has some advantages

- You can run it everywhere where you have a VMWare host. That gives you a lot of flexibility.

- You can create backups very easy, no need to setup the whole OS again and again and to install all applications again and again.

- You can easily freeze the state of the operational guest before you do any changes (see the point before).

- Depending on your environment you become some what independent from corporate policies.

AWo

0 Kudos